Sollis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Sollis family
The surname Sollis was first found in Herefordshire.
"The family came to England at the Conquest. Thurston de Solariis settled in Hereford, and Humphrey his brother with Bernard de Newmarch, 1088, in Brecon (Jones, Brecon, i. 92), where the family continued in the seventeenth century. Richard de Solariis in 1165 held three fees of ancient enfeoffment (Liber Niger.) Walter de Solars held Hope-Solar, Herefordshire, in the thirteenth century." 
"They held Neen-Solers at the end of the twelfth century, and had held Hope-Solers for several generations as mesne-lords before Simon de Solers became its owner through his wife Isabel Stokes, the youngest of two co-heiresses (the elder, AUce, married Robert le Archer, and brought him Aston). "William de Solers inherited Pauntley in Gloucestershire thro' his mother, only child of John de Pauntley. He left two sons, Richard and Simon. Walter, son of Richard, was mesne-lord of Hope, and a Thomas de Solers occurs as owner of Hope and Pauntley 51 Hen. Ill,; but whether he was Simon's son is uncertain. Sir John, Thomas's son, married Joan de Sitsylt (Cecil), and left an only daughter and heir Maud, married to William Whyttyngton of Warwickshire." 
Today, Neen Sollars is a village and civil parish in south east Shropshire. The village dates back to before the Domesday Book where it was listed as Nene The de Solers family were found here from the late 12th century
Early History of the Sollis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sollis research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1269, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Sollis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sollis Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sollars, Sollas, Sollis, Sollace, Soller, Sollar, Sollas, Solles, Solers, Solars, Solis, Solas and many more.
Early Notables of the Sollis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sollis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Sollis migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sollis Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Roger Sollis, who landed in Virginia in 1652 
- Sall Sollis, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 
Sollis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Fred Sollis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- Cleveland, Dutchess of The Battle Abbey Roll with some Account of the Norman Lineages. London: John Murray, Abermarle Street, 1889. Print. Volume 3 of 3
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)