on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Solis family come from? What is the Spanish Solis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Solis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Solis family history?From the historical and enchanting region of Spain emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Solis family. The original bearer of the name Solis, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Solis family originally lived in any of the numerous village and towns named Soler. This place-name is derived from the word "soler," which means "site" or "plot" and it is ultimately derived from the Late Latin word "solarium," which means "bottom" or "ground."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Solís, de Solís, Solis, de Solis, Soliz, Soler, Solé, de Solé, Sole, de Sole, Solano, Sol, de Sol, del Sol, Sols, Soles, Solares and many more.
First found in Catalonia, in northeastern Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Solis research. Another 419 words(30 lines of text) covering the years 1074 and 1469 are included under the topic Early Solis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 133 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Solis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Martín de Solís, who sailed to America in 1511
- Antonio de Solís, who explored the Caribbean coasts of Mexico in the year 1512
- Rodrigo de Solís sailed to America in 1516
- Diego de Solís sailed to Venezuela in 1534
- Diego De Solis who immigrated to Venezuela in 1534
Solis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Martin De Solis, who arrived in America in 1811
- Francisco De Solis, who arrived in America in 1812
- Jacob O Solis, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1812
- Daniel Solis, aged 28, landed in New York in 1812
- Jacob J Solis, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1812
- Fermin Solis Campos (b. 1972), Spanish cartoonist, animator, and illustrator
- Marco Antonio Solis (b. 1959), Mexican composer and record producer
- Mauricio Solis Mora (b. 1972), Costa Rican footballer
- Hilda Lucia Solis (b. 1957), 25th United States Secretary of Labor
- Ottón Solis Fallas (b. 1954), Costa Rican politician and former presidential candidate
- Odlanier Solis Fonte (b. 1980), Gold Medal-winning Cuban Olympic boxer
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Solis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Solis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 March 2015 at 23:05.
on orders of $85 or more