100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
From the historical and enchanting region of Spain
emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Solis family. The original bearer of the name Solis, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain
, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Solis family originally lived in any of the numerous village and towns named Soler. This place-name is derived from the word "soler," which means "site" or "plot" and it is ultimately derived from the Late Latin word "solarium," which means "bottom" or "ground."
The surname Solis was first found in Catalonia, in northeastern Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Solís, de Solís, Solis, de Solis, Soliz, Soler, Solé, de Solé, Sole, de Sole, Solano, Sol, de Sol, del Sol, Sols, Soles, Solares and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Solis research. Another 419 words (30 lines of text) covering the years 1074 and 1469 are included under the topic Early Solis History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 133 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Solis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Martín de Solís, who sailed to America in 1511
- Antonio de Solís, who explored the Caribbean coasts of Mexico in the year 1512
- Rodrigo de Solís sailed to America in 1516
- Diego de Solís sailed to Venezuela in 1534
- Diego De Solis who immigrated to Venezuela in 1534
Solis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Martin De Solis, who arrived in America in 1811
- Francisco De Solis, who arrived in America in 1812
- Jacob O Solis, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1812
- Daniel Solis, aged 28, landed in New York in 1812
- Jacob J Solis, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1812
- Mickey Solis, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980
- Maya Solis, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 2008
- Juan F. Solis, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 28th District, 1997; Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 124th District, 2000
- Jim Solis, American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives 38th District; Elected 1992- 2002; Elected unopposed 2004; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1996
- Jesse Solis, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kansas, 2004
- Hilda L. Solis (b. 1957), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988,1996, 2000, 2004, 2008; Member of California State Senate, 1992-2001; U.S. Representative from California, 2001-08 (31st District 2001-03, 32nd District 2003-08)
- Daniel Solis, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1996, 2004, 2008
- Alexia A. Solis, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 2008
- Fermin Solis Campos (b. 1972), Spanish cartoonist, animator, and illustrator
- Manuel Camacho Solís (1946-2015), Mexican politician, Secretary of Foreign Affairs (1993-1994)
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Solis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Solis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 January 2016 at 14:23.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!