Sipes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the German surname Sipes can be traced to the Old Germanic word "Siebmacher," meaning "sieve maker." The surname is occupational in origin, and was most likely originally borne by someone who held this position.
Early Origins of the Sipes family
The surname Sipes was first found in the territory of Meissen in eastern Saxony, where the name could be considered to have made an early contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of modern European. The name became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the widespread tribal and national conflicts, with each group seeking power and status in an unstable territorial profile.
Early History of the Sipes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sipes research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1741, 1816, 1818, and 1862 are included under the topic Early Sipes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sipes Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sieber, Sieb, Seeb, Seeber, Seaver, Sieberer, Siebmacher, Siebers, Siebe, Siebmann, Siep, Sieper, Sieppert, Siebert, Siepmann, Siber and many more.
Early Notables of the Sipes family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sipes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sipes migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sipes Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Andrew Sipes U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784 
- Ms. Hannah Sipes U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784 
- Mr. Jacob Sipes U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784 
- Mr. Jonas Sipes U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784 
- Mr. Andrew Sipes U.E. who settled in Eastern District, Matilda [South Dundas], Ontario c. 1786 he served in Butlers Rangers, who arrived with wife and one child 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Sipes (post 1700) +
- Connie Lou Weigleb Sipes (b. 1949), American politician, Member of the Indiana Senate from the 46th district (1997-2011)
- Andy Sipes (b. 1975), American actor and art director
- Ernest Sipes (b. 1957), American author and researcher and specialist on the Indigenous Peoples of the United States, Canada, Russia and the Brazilian Amazon Basin
- Lester H. Sipes, American fighter pilot and flying ace in the U.S. Navy, during World War II, credited with 5 aerial victories
Related Stories +
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X