Silber History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The roots of the distinguished German surname Silber lie in the region of Hessen. The name literally means "silver," and was most likely originally borne by a silversmith.
Early Origins of the Silber family
The surname Silber was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The earliest recorded variant of the name was Silberer, borne by a resident of Esslingen in 1279.
Early History of the Silber family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Silber research. Another 152 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1633, 1640, 1678, 1683, 1734, 1753, and 1828 are included under the topic Early Silber History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Silber Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Silbermann, Silberman, Silver, Silber, Suelber, Suelver, Silberer, Silbert, Sylver, Sylvermann, Sylverman, Silvermann, Silverman, Sylber, Silvernail and many more.
Early Notables of the Silber family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Silber Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Silber migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Silber Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Silber, who settled in Philadelphia in 1749
- Geo Silber, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
Silber Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Tobias Silber, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1805 
- Tobias Silber, who settled in Philadelphia in 1805
- Betty Silber, who landed in America in 1847 
- Daniel Silber, who settled in Philadelphia in 1868
Contemporary Notables of the name Silber (post 1700) +
- Joan Silber (b. 1926), American academic and politician
- Irwin Silber (b. 1925), American writer and editor
- John Robert Silber (b. 1926), American professor of philosophy and university administrator
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)