100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Shultz comes from one of those ancient dukedoms, territories and states that would eventually form a part of present day Germany. At its birth in the Middle Ages, it was used to indicate someone who worked as a town-mayor derived from the medieval name "Schultheis" which has the same meaning.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schultz, Schultheis, Schultes, Schultz, Schultze, Schulz, Scholz and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where branches of this estimable family were elevated to the ranks of the nobility and came to possess great political influence. The name stems from the medaieval name "Schultheis" which meant "town-mayor."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shultz research. Another 539 words (38 lines of text) covering the years 1224, 1680, 1661, 1693, 1719, 1615, 1683, 1747, 1800, 1770, 1849, 1808 and 1883 are included under the topic Early Shultz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 123 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shultz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shultz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joh Christian Shultz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Ch Otto Shultz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1734
- Christian Otta Shultz, aged 22, landed in Pennsylvania in 1734
- Martin Shultz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- J Henry Shultz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752
Shultz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nathaniel Shultz, who landed in New York in 1802
- Rudolph W Shultz, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1843
- John Shultz, who landed in Maryland in 1845
- Mr. Shultz, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- G Shultz, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Shultz Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Ferdinand Shultz, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749-1752
- Solomon Shultz, American politician, Mayor of El Paso, Texas, 1880-81
- Searles G. Shultz (1897-1975), American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Onondaga County 1st District, 1947-54; Member of New York State Senate 44th District, 1955-58
- Reynolds Shultz, American Republican politician, Lieutenant Governor of Kansas, 1971-73
- Osborne Shultz, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate 20th District, 1954
- Lori Shultz, American Republican politician, Chair of McPherson County Republican Party, 2011
- Jackson H. Shultz, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1856
- George Pratt Shultz (b. 1920), American politician, Secretary of Labor, 1969-70; U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, 1972-74; U.S. Secretary of State, 1982-89
- Emanuel Shultz (1819-1912), American Republican politician, Member of Ohio State Legislature; Delegate to Ohio State Constitutional Convention from Montgomery County, 1873; U.S. Representative from Ohio 4th District, 1881-83
- Clark Shultz (b. 2014), American politician, a Republican member of the Kansas Senate
- Richard H. Shultz Jr. (b. 1947), American scholar of international security studies, Professor International Politics at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University
- Matthias Shultz and his Descendants by Carlyle W. Bennett.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Shultz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shultz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 October 2015 at 09:18.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!