Showell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Showell family
The surname Showell was first found in Hertfordshire, where the first record of the name was Aluricus Scoua who was listed in the Domesday Book. Leuuinus Scufe was listed c. 1067 in the reference "Old English Bynames" and Wulnod Scoue was listed as a Templar Knight in 1185. The name is probably derived from the Old English word "scufa," which means to "thrust, push."
The name is often metonymic for Shoveller and it's variants. In this latter case, the name is a trade name for someone who makes "shovels."
As the names are so similar phonetically, it is now difficult to clearly determine which origin is which. One branch of the family was found at Knowlton in Kent. "The mansion-house was the residence of Sir Cloudesley Shovel, to whom it came by marriage with the widow of Sir John Harborough, whose two sons were drowned with Sir Cloudesley when his vessel was wrecked off the Scilly Isles." 
Born John Shovell in 1650, he assumed the first name of Cloudesley from his maternal grandmother Lucy Cloudisley and rose to become Admiral of the Fleet from a cabin boy.
Early History of the Showell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Showell research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1301, 1609, 1703, 1777, 1650 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Showell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Showell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shovel, Showl, Shovell, Shoveller, Shouler, Showler and many more.
Early Notables of the Showell family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Showell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Showell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Showell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jonath Showell, who landed in Virginia in 1652 
- Johnathan Showell, who sailed to Virginia in 1653
- Ann Showell, who landed in Virginia in 1664 
- Arthur Showell, who arrived in Carolina in 1683 
Showell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Showell, who sailed to Virginia in 1721
- Thomas Showell, who sailed to America in 1772
Contemporary Notables of the name Showell (post 1700) +
- David Showell (1924-1955), American Tuskegee Airmen fighter pilot
- George William Showell (1934-2012), English professional footballer who played from 1955 to 1968
- Jack Showell (1915-1989), Australian rules footballer who played for St Kilda from 1937 to 1938
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)