Shouse History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Shouse comes from one of those ancient dukedoms, territories and states that would eventually form a part of present day Germany. At its birth in the Middle Ages, it was used to indicate someone who worked as a town-mayor derived from the medieval name "Schultheis" which has the same meaning.
Early Origins of the Shouse family
The surname Shouse was first found in Switzerland, where branches of this estimable family were elevated to the ranks of the nobility and came to possess great political influence. The name stems from the medieval name "Schultheis" which meant "town-mayor."
Early History of the Shouse family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shouse research. Another 270 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1224, 1680, 1661, 1693, 1719, 1615, 1683, 1747, 1800, 1770, 1849, 1808 and 1883 are included under the topic Early Shouse History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shouse Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schultz, Schultheis, Schultes, Schultz, Schultze, Schulz, Scholz and many more.
Early Notables of the Shouse family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time with the surname Shouse were Jerzy Georg Daniel Schultz the Younger (1615-1683), Prussian painter of the Baroque era; Johann Abraham Schultz (1747-1800), a composer and conductor of the orchestra of Prince Heinrich...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shouse Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Shouse is the 5,571st most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Shouse migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shouse Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James C Shouse, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1852 
- Mrs. J.H. Shouse, aged 54, who immigrated to the United States, in 1892
Shouse Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- A. Henry Shouse, who immigrated to America, in 1907
- Frances Bell Shouse, aged 50, who immigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Mary A. Shouse, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1910
- Mrs. Haydon Shouse, aged 49, who landed in America, in 1911
- Eunice Shouse, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Shouse (post 1700) +
- Justin Christopher Shouse (b. 1981), American basketball coach and former player
- Jouett Shouse (1879-1968), American lawyer, newspaper publisher, and leading Democratic politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1915-1919)
- Brian Douglas Shouse (b. 1968), American former professional baseball relief pitcher and Minor League pitching coach
- Catherine Filene Shouse (1896-1994), American researcher, philanthropist and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)