Setzer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Setzer is an Upper German name with roots in the southern region of Bavaria. The name is derived from the German verb "setzen," meaning "to set," and was probably first borne by someone who worked at a market or fair, setting the prices of merchandise. The Low German variation of the name, Settegast, is even more specific, meaning "one who sets the price of barley."
Early Origins of the Setzer family
The surname Setzer was first found in Regensburg; the first recorded bearer was Ortlieb der Setzer, who lived there in 1290. The young Setzer family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval Bavarian society.
Early History of the Setzer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Setzer research. Another 58 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1373, 1480, 1532, 1813, and 1890 are included under the topic Early Setzer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Setzer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Setzer, Sezzer, Settegast, Settgast, Setter and many more.
Early Notables of the Setzer family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Setzer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Setzer is the 6,060th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
| Setzer migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Setzer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michael Setzer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
Setzer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Otto Setzer, who landed in America in 1856 
Setzer Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Achse Setzer, aged 17, who settled in America from Russia, in 1904
- Cipe Setzer, aged 28, who landed in America from Unien, Russia, in 1911
- Anna Setzer, aged 24, who landed in America from Wallduren, Germany, in 1913
- Barneh Setzer, aged 3, who immigrated to America from Krakan, Austria, in 1913
- Chancie Setzer, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Turiszma, Hungary, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Setzer (post 1700) ||+|
- Matthew Setzer, American musician, composer, and music technologist
- Arlene Setzer, former American Republican member of the Ohio House of Representatives
- Dennis Setzer (b. 1960), American NASCAR driver
- Mitchell Smith Setzer, Republican member of the North Carolina General Assembly
- Brian Setzer (b. 1959), American rockabilly musician from Long Island, founder of the "Stray Cats"
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)