100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Noble surnames, such as Serna, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Serna, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Serna family originally lived near a ridge or chain of hills. The name was originally derived from the Old French word Serre, but it was recorded in medieval documents in the Latin form Serra, which means ridge.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Serrano, Serrana, Serra and others.
First found in Castile, the medieval Spanish kingdom whose language and culture were to spread to many countries of the world.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Serna research. Another 407 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1274, 1420, and 1749 are included under the topic Early Serna History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Serna Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Serna Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Juan DeLa Serna, who arrived in America in 1811
- Luis DeLa Serna, who landed in America in 1813
- Marques DeLa Serna, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1862
- Hernando DeLa Serna, who arrived in Florida in 1863
- Manuel DeLa Serna, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1877
- Paul David Serna, former American professional baseball infielder
- Joe Serna Jr. (1939-1999), American civil rights activist
- Alexis Serna (b. 1985), American free agent placekicker and punter in the Canadian Football League
- Pepe Serna (b. 1944), American film actor and artist
- Jose Serna, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Joe Serna Jr. (1939-1999), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Sacramento, California, 1993-99; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996
- Gilberto Serna, American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives 75th District; Elected unopposed 1994; Elected 1996
- Eric P. Serna, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New Mexico 3rd District, 1997
- Assumpta Serna (b. 1957), Spanish actress
- María Luisa Serna (b. 1979), Spanish professional female tennis player
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Serna Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Serna Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 January 2016 at 13:15.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!