on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Schwind family come from? What is the German Schwind family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schwind family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schwind family history?The name Schwind is derived from the Middle High German word "swinde," meaning "impetuous," or "fierce." It was probably a nickname of the person who came to be the first bearer of Schwind as a surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwindt, Schwind, Schwinde, Schwindl,Swind, Swinde, Swindel and many more.
First found in Upper Germany. Early records of the name include Conrad Swinde of Grunberg in Hesse in 1362, and Nicolaus Swindel in Mies in 1364.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schwind research. Another 118 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1792, 1855, and 1863 are included under the topic Early Schwind History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Schwind Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schwind Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Schwind, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
Schwind Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Schwind, who landed in America in 1849
- John Schwind, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1858
- Peter Schwind, who landed in Iowa in 1864
- Sophie Schwind, who arrived in New York, NY in 1892
- Magdalene Schwind, aged 9, arrived in New York, NY in 1892
Schwind Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ignatz Schwind, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Einbach, Germany, in 1907
- Paul Schwind, aged 24, who landed in America from Thum, Germany, in 1909
- Otto Schwind, aged 29, who settled in America from Dalheim, Germany, in 1914
- Herbert Schwind, aged 11, who landed in America from Thalleim, Germany, in 1921
- Erich Schwind, aged 14, who emigrated to the United States from Thalleim, Germany, in 1921
- Arthur Edwin Schwind (1889-1968), American Major League Baseball player
- William F Schwind Jr. (b. 1944), American Vice-president, General Counsel and Secretary of Marathon Oil Corporation (1992)
- Klaus Schwind (b. 1952), German professional footballer
- Moritz von Schwind (1804-1871), Austrian painter
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Schwind Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schwind Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 December 2014 at 14:30.
on orders of $85 or more