Schrock History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Schrock family
The surname Schrock was first found in Austria, where the name Schrock became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In later years, bearers of the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. The name Schrock comes from the Middle High German word "schrecken," which means "to leap" or "spring," though it carries the connotation of jumping due to being startled or frightened. Like many surnames, the name probably began as a nickname; perhaps the original bearer of the name was talented at leaping or perhaps he was timid and easily startled or frightened. The nickname stuck, and eventually the person took it as his surname.
Early History of the Schrock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schrock research. Another 68 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schrock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Schrock Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schreck, Schrock, Schrockhaas and others.
Early Notables of the Schrock family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Schrock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Schrock is the 5,601st most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
| Schrock migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schrock Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Jacob Schrock, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Schrock (post 1700) ||+|
- Jim Schrock, owner of Schrock Airport, Oregon
- Raymond L. Schrock (1892-1950), American screenwriter of 155 films, active 1915 to 1950
- Edward Lee "Ed" Schrock (b. 1941), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Virginia's 2nd district (2001-2005)
- Richard Royce Schrock (b. 1945), American chemist and Nobel laureate, eponym of Schrock carbene
- M. S. Schrock, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Governor of Oregon, 1938 
- Edward L. Schrock (b. 1941), American Republican politician, Stockbroker; Member of Virginia State Senate, 1995-2001; U.S. Representative from Virginia 2nd District, 2001- 
|Suggested Readings for the name Schrock ||+|
- Family History of Joni Miller and his Descendants by Emanuel Jeremiah Miller.
- The Schrock Family by Thomas S. Reed.
- The Schrock Family: with First Supplement to the Schrock Family by Thomas S. Reed.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html