Schoeman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origin of the proud surname Schoeman can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which is now part of Czechoslovakia. In the Middle Ages, many of the Bohemian were a part of the Holy Roman Empire, which was characterized by the Feudal System. Before this era, people were known only by a single name. However, as the population increased and travelers set out on their journeys, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves. Many people, such as the Schoeman family, adopted the name of their feudal occupation as their surname. However, an occupational name did not become a hereditary surname until the office or type of employment became hereditary. The surname Schoeman was an occupational name for a cobbler. The name Schoeman is derived from the Old German words "schuoch" and the suffix "mann," which means shoe maker.
Early Origins of the Schoeman family
The surname Schoeman was first found in the eastern regions of Saxony and Bohemia, where the family was established in ancient times.
Early History of the Schoeman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schoeman research. Another 185 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1299, 1474, 1782, 1790, 1810, and 1856 are included under the topic Early Schoeman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Schoeman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schumann, Schuman, Schuhman, Schuhmann, Schuhermann, Schumacher, Shuhmacher, Schomann (northern Germany), Schomacher (northern Germany), Schomaker (northern Germany) and many more.
Early Notables of the Schoeman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Schoeman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Schoeman migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schoeman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James K. Schoeman, aged 56, who immigrated to the United States from Audtshoorn, S. Africa, in 1908
- Mrs. James Schoeman, aged 46, who landed in America from Audtshoorn, S. Africa, in 1908
- Betti Schoeman, aged 22, who settled in America from Ziltingen, Germany, in 1914
- Robert E. Schoeman, aged 45, who immigrated to America, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Schoeman (post 1700) +
- Albert W. Schoeman, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Iowa 2nd District, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2000 
- Karel Schoeman (1939-2017), South African novelist, historian, translator and man of letters
- Frank Schoeman (b. 1975), South African former footballer
- Commandant-General Stephanus Schoeman (1810-1890), State President of the South African Republic (1860 to 1862)
- Roland Mark Schoeman (b. 1980), South African eight-time gold medalist swimmer
Related Stories +