Schmalz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Schmalz has a long and distinguished history in Germany, dating back to the Early Middle Ages. The name is derived from the German "schmal," meaning "narrow, small, slight," and is often used as an element in compound names, such as "Schmalbauch" (small belly), "Schmalhoffart" (small pride), and "Schmalfuss" (narrow foot).
Early Origins of the Schmalz family
The surname Schmalz was first found in Schleswig-Holstein, where the surname is thought to have first emerged. The earliest known bearer of the name was Ecgeho dictus Smale, who was a resident of Hamburg in the year 1270. The Schmalz family established its presence in Schleswig-Holstein in these formative days and quickly became prominent, figuring prominently in the early history of the region and contributing greatly to the development of the medieval culture of North Germany.
Early History of the Schmalz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schmalz research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1667, 1748, and 1827 are included under the topic Early Schmalz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Schmalz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schmal, Schmall, Schmahl, Schmahll, Small and many more.
Early Notables of the Schmalz family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schmalz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Schmalz migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schmalz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H J Schmalz, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849 
- Valentine Schmalz, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848 
- Frederick Schmalz, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1874 
- Ludwig Schmalz, aged 54, who landed in New York, NY in 1889 
- Marianne Schmalz, aged 53, who landed in New York, NY in 1889 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Schmalz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adolph Schmalz, who arrived in Arkansas in 1901 
- Gabriel Schmalz, who landed in Arkansas in 1901 
Contemporary Notables of the name Schmalz (post 1700) +
- Wilhelm Schmalz (1901-1983), German Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Herbert Gustave Schmalz (1856-1935), birth name of John Wilson Carmichael, an English Pre-Raffaelite painter
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)