on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Schaeffer family come from? What is the German Schaeffer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schaeffer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schaeffer family history?The distinguished surname Schaeffer is German in origin. It is derived from the Middle High German term "schaffaere," which referred to the manager or steward of a household.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schaeffers, Schaefer, Scheaffer, Schaefers, Schaffer, Schafer, Shaeffer, Schefer, Shaefer and many more.
First found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schaeffer research. Another 269 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1813, 1787, 1425, 1503, 1451, 1624 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Schaeffer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 101 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schaeffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schaeffer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Andreas Schaeffer, who emigrated with his family to England or America in 1709
- Dorothea Schaeffer, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Hans Werner Schaeffer, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Johann Heinrich Schaeffer, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709
- Johann Wilhelm Schaeffer, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709
Schaeffer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Herman Schaeffer, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Louis Schaeffer, who arrived in Ohio in 1812
- Ludwig Schaeffer, who landed in Ohio in 1812
- Frederick Schaeffer, who landed in Maryland in 1832
- Peter Schaeffer, who landed in New York in 1833
Schaeffer Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Fred William Schaeffer, who arrived in Canada in 1800
- Rebecca Schaeffer (1967-1989), American actress who was murdered by a fan
- Eric Schaeffer (b. 1962), American actor
- William G. "Billy" Schaeffer (b. 1951), retired American professional basketball player
- Albert "Al" Charles Schaeffer (1907-1957), American mathematician who worked on complex analysis
- Brentis Jarryn Schaeffer (b. 1986), American former Arena football Quarterback
- Charles Frederick Schaeffer (1807-1879), American Lutheran clergyman
- Chester Schaeffer (1902-1992), American film and television editor
- David Frederick Schaeffer (1787-1837), American Lutheran clergyman
- Francis August Schaeffer (1912-1984), American Evangelical Christian theologian, philosopher, and Presbyterian pastor
- Eric D. Schaeffer, American theater director and producer
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
The Schaeffer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schaeffer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 March 2015 at 12:16.
on orders of $85 or more