on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Schaeffer family come from? What is the German Schaeffer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Schaeffer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Schaeffer family history?The distinguished surname Schaeffer is German in origin. It is derived from the Middle High German term "schaffaere," which referred to the manager or steward of a household.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schaeffers, Schaefer, Scheaffer, Schaefers, Schaffer, Schafer, Shaeffer, Schefer, Shaefer and many more.
First found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schaeffer research. Another 269 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1813, 1787, 1425, 1503, 1451, 1624 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Schaeffer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 101 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schaeffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schaeffer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Andreas Schaeffer, who emigrated with his family to England or America in 1709
- Dorothea Schaeffer, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Hans Werner Schaeffer, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Johann Heinrich Schaeffer, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709
- Johann Wilhelm Schaeffer, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709
Schaeffer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Herman Schaeffer, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Louis Schaeffer, who arrived in Ohio in 1812
- Ludwig Schaeffer, who landed in Ohio in 1812
- Frederick Schaeffer, who landed in Maryland in 1832
- Peter Schaeffer, who landed in New York in 1833
Schaeffer Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Fred William Schaeffer, who arrived in Canada in 1800
- George Harrison Schaeffer, American football player, coach of football, basketball, and baseball, and college athletics administrator
- Frederick Christian Schaeffer (1792-1832), American Lutheran clergyman
- Eric D. Schaeffer, American theater director and producer
- Francis August Schaeffer (1912-1984), American Evangelical Christian theologian, philosopher, and Presbyterian pastor
- David Frederick Schaeffer (1787-1837), American Lutheran clergyman
- Chester Schaeffer (1902-1992), American film and television editor
- Charles Frederick Schaeffer (1807-1879), American Lutheran clergyman
- Brentis Jarryn Schaeffer (b. 1986), American former Arena football Quarterback
- Albert "Al" Charles Schaeffer (1907-1957), American mathematician who worked on complex analysis
- William G. "Billy" Schaeffer (b. 1951), retired American professional basketball player
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
The Schaeffer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schaeffer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2015 at 10:06.
on orders of $85 or more