100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The distinguished surname Schaeffer is German in origin. It is derived from the Middle High German term "schaffaere," which referred to the manager or steward of a household.
The surname Schaeffer was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early medieval times with the feudal
society which would become prominent throughout European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schaeffers, Schaefer, Scheaffer, Schaefers, Schaffer, Schafer, Shaeffer, Schefer, Shaefer and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schaeffer research. Another 269 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1813, 1787, 1425, 1503, 1451, 1624 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Schaeffer History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 101 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schaeffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schaeffer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Andreas Schaeffer, who emigrated with his family to England or America in 1709
- Dorothea Schaeffer, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Hans Werner Schaeffer, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Johann Heinrich Schaeffer, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709
- Johann Wilhelm Schaeffer, who arrived in New York, NY in 1709
Schaeffer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Herman Schaeffer, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Louis Schaeffer, who arrived in Ohio in 1812
- Ludwig Schaeffer, who landed in Ohio in 1812
- Frederick Schaeffer, who landed in Maryland in 1832
- Peter Schaeffer, who landed in New York in 1833
Schaeffer Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Fred William Schaeffer, who arrived in Canada in 1800
- George Harrison Schaeffer, American football player, coach of football, basketball, and baseball, and college athletics administrator
- Frederick Christian Schaeffer (1792-1832), American Lutheran clergyman
- Eric D. Schaeffer, American theater director and producer
- Francis August Schaeffer (1912-1984), American Evangelical Christian theologian, philosopher, and Presbyterian pastor
- David Frederick Schaeffer (1787-1837), American Lutheran clergyman
- Chester Schaeffer (1902-1992), American film and television editor
- Charles Frederick Schaeffer (1807-1879), American Lutheran clergyman
- Brentis Jarryn Schaeffer (b. 1986), American former Arena football Quarterback
- Albert "Al" Charles Schaeffer (1907-1957), American mathematician who worked on complex analysis
- William G. "Billy" Schaeffer (b. 1951), retired American professional basketball player
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
The Schaeffer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schaeffer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2015 at 10:06.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!