The Italian surname Savoldi derives from the word "savio," meaning "wise," or "learned;" thus it was likely originally a nickname
for a wise or knowledgeable man.
Early Origins of the Savoldi family
The surname Savoldi was first found in Venice
, a city and seaport occupying one of the most remarkable sites of the world. It is rich in ancient palaces, churches, libraries, galleries, monuments, statues, treasures and artifacts. Its history is abundant in politics, art, religion, scholarship and conflict. An early record of this name shows that Ziliolo de Savina held the post of ducal secretary in Venice, in 1289. Another record shows the noble Savini di Siena family is on record holding lands in Sienna as early as 1355. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Savoldi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Savoldi research.Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1627, 1862, 1796, 1639 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Savoldi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Savoldi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Savio, Savi, Savioli, Saviotti, Saviozzi, Savoldi, Savoldini, Savonarola and many more.
Early Notables of the Savoldi family (pre 1700)
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Savoldi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Savoldi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Chally Savini, who settled in Philadelphia in 1816; Peter Savio, who arrived in Indiana sometime between 1856 and 1904; Carmenussio Savino, who came to New York sometime between 1884 and 1905.
Contemporary Notables of the name Savoldi (post 1700)
- Angelo Savoldi (1914-2013), born Mario Louis Fornini, Sr., an American professional wrestler and wrestling promoter
- Joseph Anthony "Joe" Savoldi Jr. (1908-1974), nicknamed Jumping Joe Savoldi, an Italian-born American football player and professional wrestler
- Gianluigi Savoldi (1949-2008), Italian professional footballer who played from 1966 to 1981
- Gianluca Savoldi (b. 1975), retired Italian football striker
- Giuseppe Savoldi (b. 1947), retired Italian professional footballer who played from 1965 to 1983, member of the Italy National Team 1968 to 1969 and in 1975