Savino History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Savino surname comes from the Latin personal name Sabinus. Much of the early popularity of this personal name comes from suffered Saint Sabina, martyred in Rome in around 126 AD, there is a 4th century basilica in Rome named for her.
Early Origins of the Savino family
The surname Savino was first found in Paganico Sabino, a comune in the Province of Rieti, Latium, about 50 km northeast of Rome and about 25 km southeast of Rieti or Monteleone Sabino, a comune located about 45 km northeast of Rome and about 20 km south of Rieti or at Varco Sabino, comune in the same area. These places are all small municipalities but they are in the heart of the Sabino dialect, a Romance language which is found through the northern part of province of Aquila and the whole province of Rieti.
Early History of the Savino family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Savino research. Another 36 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1289 and 1355 are included under the topic Early Savino History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Savino Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Savino include Savini, Savinio, Savina, Sabini, Sabino and others.
Early Notables of the Savino family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Savino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Savino migration to the United States +
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Savino or a variant listed above:
Savino Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carmenussio Savino, who settled in New York sometime between 1884 and 1905
Savino Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Savino, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Motta Montecoidtno, Italy, in 1906
- Angela Savino, aged 7, who landed in America from Grumo Appulla, Italy, in 1909
- Angelantonio Savino, aged 34, who landed in America from Grecino Appieta, Italy, in 1911
- Angela Savino, aged 16, who settled in America from Montecorvino, Italy, in 1913
- Andrea Savino, aged 42, who landed in America from Marcianise, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Savino (post 1700) +
- Michele Savino, American shoemaker and designer of ballet slippers, he was granted a patent for a "noiseless " slipper in 1934
- Joseph J. Savino, American politician who represents the 23rd Senate District in the New York State Senate
- Diane Savino, American politician
- Chris Savino (b. 1971), American animator
- Domenico Savino (1882-1973), American (Italian born) conductor, composer and band leader
- Nicholas L. Savino, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1948; Candidate for Borough President of Brooklyn, New York, 1969 
- Joseph J. Savino, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 34th District, 2006 
- Joseph Savino Jr., American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1972 
- Jay Savino, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 2008 
- Frank A. Savino, American Republican politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly 85th District, 1974; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Wisconsin 7th District, 1976 
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +