Santangelo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Santangelo family
The surname Santangelo was first found in Lucca, a city and comune in Tuscany, capital of the province of Lucca and where Bascilican type churches abound. The history commences in 218 B.C., and passed through many hands in the intervening centuries. Many notable scholars and prelates lived here. The cathedral of St Martin was begun in 1060 by Bishop Anselm, later Pope Alexander II. It has many museums and galleries. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Santangelo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Santangelo research. Another 118 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1339, 1435, 1494, 1627, 1697, 1677 and 1723 are included under the topic Early Santangelo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Santangelo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Santinni, Santanna, Santana, Santanno, Santinelli, Santilli, Santi and many more.
Early Notables of the Santangelo family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Santangelo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Santangelo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Santangelo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barthomeo Santangelo, who settled in New York sometime between 1884 and 1915
- Antonia Santangelo, who arrived in America in 1892
- Giacomo Santangelo, who settled in New York, NY in 1893
- Antonio Santangelo, who arrived in Ohio in 1894
Contemporary Notables of the name Santangelo (post 1700) +
- Leo B. Santangelo, American politician, Mayor of Middletown, Connecticut, 1935
- Alfred Edward Santangelo (1912-1978), American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Senate 22nd District, 1947-50, 1953-56; Defeated, 1950; U.S. Representative from New York 18th District, 1957-63; Defeated, 1962
- Frank-Paul Santangelo (b. 1967), American Major League Baseball player who played from 1995 to 2001
- Mara Santangelo (b. 1981), Italian retired professional female tennis player
Related Stories +