Early Origins of the Sansoni family
The surname Sansoni was first found in the Papal States of Italy. Although records show bearers of the name in just about every part of southern Italy, the highest concentration is to be found in the Papal States. The name is rare in the north, but does exist. The spelling variations
on the name that can be found in the north are those that end in "i." The Sanson variation is common in Venetia, but generally any spelling variations that don't end in "i" are from the south. The name comes ultimately from the Bible: "Sansone" is the Italian version of "Samson," a character who figures prominently in the Bible.
Early History of the Sansoni family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sansoni research.Another 66 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sansoni History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sansoni Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Sansoni include Sansone, Sansoni, Sanson, Sanzone, Sanzonio, Sanzogno and many more.
Early Notables of the Sansoni family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sansoni Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Sansoni family to the New World and Oceana
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Sansoni or a variant listed above:
Sansoni Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Maria Sansoni, aged 21, who landed in America from Boscotrecase, Napoli, in 1907
- Giuseppe Sansoni, aged 14, who immigrated to America from Fuscaldo, Italy, in 1911
- Paolo Sansoni, aged 47, who immigrated to the United States from Fuscaldo, Italy, in 1911
- Primo Sansoni, aged 24, who settled in America from Marcerata, Italy, in 1912
- Enrico Sansoni, aged 53, who settled in America from Lucca, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Sansoni (post 1700)
- Deshamanya Miliani Claude Sansoni, Sri Lankan jurist, 32nd Chief Justice of Ceylon (1964-1966)
- Stéphane Sansoni (b. 1967), French former professional tennis player
- Sébastien Sansoni (b. 1978), French footballer
Sansoni Family Crest Products