Early Origins of the Sansonetti family
The surname Sansonetti was first found in the Papal States of Italy. Although records show bearers of the name in just about every part of southern Italy, the highest concentration is to be found in the Papal States. The name is rare in the north, but does exist. The spelling variations
on the name that can be found in the north are those that end in "i." The Sanson variation is common in Venetia, but generally any spelling variations that don't end in "i" are from the south. The name comes ultimately from the Bible: "Sansone" is the Italian version of "Samson," a character who figures prominently in the Bible.
Early History of the Sansonetti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sansonetti research.Another 131 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sansonetti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sansonetti Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Sansonetti include Sansone, Sansoni, Sanson, Sanzone, Sanzonio, Sanzogno and many more.
Early Notables of the Sansonetti family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sansonetti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Sansonetti family to the New World and Oceana
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Sansonetti or a variant listed above:
Sansonetti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Gianbino Sansonetti, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Triggiano, Italy, in 1907
- Domenico Sansonetti, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States from S Pado Cesitale, Italy, in 1910
- Giuseppe Sansonetti, aged 24, who landed in America from Ripateatina, Italy, in 1910
- Costantino Sansonetti, aged 17, who landed in America from Briggiano, Italy, in 1911
- Nicola Sansonetti, aged 31, who landed in America from Briggiano, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Sansonetti (post 1700)
- Thomas Lawrence Sansonetti (b. 1949), American attorney and a government official from the state of Wyoming
- Philippe J. Sansonetti (b. 1949), American microbiologist, Professor at the Pasteur Institute and the Collège de France in Paris
- Ugo "Matusalesto" Sansonetti (b. 1919), Italian writer, recipient of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (1991)
- Federico Sansonetti (b. 1986), Uruguayan professional tennis player
- Étienne Sansonetti (b. 1935), French former professional footballer