People in Italy were originally known only by a single name, but it became necessary for people to adopt a second name, or surname to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. The surname Sandri was derived from the Italian personal name
Early Origins of the Sandri family
The surname Sandri was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), originally the capital of Tuscany
, then capital of the kingdom of Italy. On the River Arno there are numerous Florentine Churches, Museums, Galleries. It dates back to 313 A.D. The history is complex and turbulent. The de' Medici family are the notables. They were expelled in 1494 but they returned in 1512, out in 1527 and then returned. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Sandri family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sandri research.Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1516, 1187, 1455, 1503 and 1657 are included under the topic Early Sandri History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sandri Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Di Sandro, Sandra, Sandras, Sandre, Sandrolini, Sandron, Sandrone, Alessandro, Alessandra, Lassandro, Lassandra, Assandro and many more.
Early Notables of the Sandri family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sandri Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Sandri family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Giovanni Allesandro, who was naturalized in Colorado in 1890; Edward Alesandro, who was on record in New York State some time between 1884-1915; as well as Alicandro Alessandro, who arrived in New York, NY in 1904..
Contemporary Notables of the name Sandri (post 1700)
- Lionello Levi Sandri (1910-1991), Italian politician and European Commissioner
- Gia Sandri, Italian actress, known for The Birds, the Bees and the Italians (1966), Hercules the Avenger (1965) and Thompson 1880 (1966)
- Anna Maria Sandri (b. 1936), Italian actress, active in the 1940s and 1950s
- Pepler Sacto Emiliano Sandri (b. 1983), South African cricketer
- Leonardo Sandri (b. 1943), Argentine Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Sandro Sandri (b. 1954), Venetist politician
- Sandra Sandri (b. 1973), Spanish actress, known for Eldorado (1992), Boom Boom (1990) and Searching for Love (2004)
- Lori Paulo Sandri (1949-2014), Brazilian football manager