Ruggeri History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Ruggeri comes from the Italian personal name Ruggiero of Germanic origin, derived from the Old German words "hrod," or "renown," and "ger," meaning "spear."
Early Origins of the Ruggeri family
The surname Ruggeri was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy. Little can be said in the space available which would do justice to the history of this beautiful city. From 1000 B.C, its history is a book of life itself. The buildings, culture, arts, cathedrals, churches, museums galleries hold untold treasures unequalled anywhere else in the world. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The surname Ruggeri and the English surname Rogers are of the same origin, both being derived from the Old German first name Rodger. The name Rodger is, itself, from the Old Norse "Hordgeirr," meaning "glory," or "spear." Ruggeri means, simply, "son of Roger."
Early History of the Ruggeri family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ruggeri research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1481, 1693, 1829, 1511, 1530, 1550, 1570, 1630, 1698, 1653, 1711, 1661, 1697, 1663, 1719, 1662 and 1717 are included under the topic Early Ruggeri History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ruggeri Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ruggero, Ruggieri, Ruggiero, Ruggier, Ruggieri, Roggeri, Roggero, Roggiero, Roglieri, Ruggero and many more.
Early Notables of the Ruggeri family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bernardo Ruggieri, an Italian Roman Catholic prelate who served as Bishop of Sora (1511-1530); Guido Ruggeri (active 1550s), an Italian engraver, active in his native Bologna, pupil of Francesco Francia; Giulio Ruggieri, who acted as nuncio to Pope Pius V, mediating with the Polish King Sigismund in 1570; Francesco Ruggieri...
Another 56 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ruggeri Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ruggeri migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ruggeri Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- C E L Ruggeri, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ruggeri (post 1700) +
- Ferdinando Ruggeri (b. 1831), Italian painter from Naples
- Alessandro Ruggeri (b. 1990), Italian professional football player
- Teresa Ruggeri, Italian operatic soprano, active from the 1820s through the 1840s
- Enrico Ruggeri (b. 1957), Italian rock singer-songwriter from Milan
- Paola Laura Ruggeri Ghigo (1961-1983), Venezuelan model, Miss Venezuela 1983
- Oscar Alfredo Ruggeri (b. 1962), Argentine former footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)