Ruffo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ruffo family
The surname Ruffo was first found in Calabria a territorial district of Italy. Ancient Calabria was in Lecce. Modern Calabria is in the southern extremity of Italy coasting the straits of Messina. Reggio and Messina are the cities of note. This beautiful region produces wine. Olive oil and fruit. Reggio was heavily bombed during WWII because of its strategical link with Sicily. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry and of Norman extraction. They were described as a Norman Magna Domus. Serio o Sigerio Ruffo was Marshall of Calabria during the reign of Frederido II of Sicily.
Early History of the Ruffo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ruffo research. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1235, 1233, 1316, 1406, 1508, 1587, 1544, 1563, 1572, 1663 and 1753 are included under the topic Early Ruffo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ruffo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ruffo, Ruvo, DeRuvo, DeRuffo, De Ruffo, Di Ruffo, Ruffola and many more.
Early Notables of the Ruffo family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated the Austrians, and the region came under Spanish rule once more. In 1799, the French invaded...
Another 66 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ruffo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ruffo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ruffo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bernard Ruffo, age 28, who arrived in America on July 1, 1880, aboard the "St. Laurent"
- Fioravante Ruffo, who arrived in America on March 9, 1887, aboard the "Cheribon"
- Rosa Ruffo, age 32, who arrived in America on Aug. 24, 1888
- Giuseppe Ruffo, age 34, who arrived in New York on May 28, 1889
Contemporary Notables of the name Ruffo (post 1700) +
- Albert J Ruffo (1908-2003), American politician, Mayor of San Jose 1946-1948, philanthropist, educator, lawyer, and football coach
- Bruno Ruffo (1920-2007), Italian Grand Prix motorcycle road racer
- Titta Ruffo (1877-1953), Italian opera singer
- Fabrizio Ruffo (1744-1827), Italian Neapolitan general in the French Revolutionary Wars, and a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Stan "Steamin'" Ruffo, blues musician and leader of The Stan Ruffo Band
- Ruffo Fabrizio (1744-1827), Italian cardinal and politician
Related Stories +