Rozell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Rozell was brought to England in the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name is derived from the Old French "Roc-el," a diminutive of "Rosce," which is itself derived from the Old French "rous," meaning "red." It is likely that the name was first bestowed as a nickname on someone with red hair or a red complexion.
Early Origins of the Rozell family
The surname Rozell was first found in Lancashire at Rossall, near Fleetwood. The village dates back to the Domesday Book where it was listed as Rushdale. The first record of the surname was Huges de Rozel. He was one of the benefactors of the Abbey of St. Etienne at Caen, founded by William the Conquerer. It was also borne by Patriz Rozel, a Knight Templar, in 1185.
Early History of the Rozell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rozell research. Another 139 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1182, 1195, 1214, 1740 and 1871 are included under the topic Early Rozell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rozell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rossell, Rossel, Rosel, Rosell, Rozel, Rozell and many more.
Early Notables of the Rozell family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rozell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rozell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rozell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ashley B Rozell, who landed in Texas in 1835 
- S Rozell, who arrived in Texas in 1835 
Rozell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Helen Rozell, who landed in America, in 1911
- William R. Rozell, aged 22, who landed in America, in 1918
- William Rozell, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States, in 1919
Contemporary Notables of the name Rozell (post 1700) +
- Herbert J. "Herb" Rozell (b. 1931), American former politician, Member of the Oklahoma Senate (1973-2005)
- Mark J. Rozell, American Acting Dean, Professor of Public Policy at George Mason University
- Christopher John Rozell, American Assistant Professor, Demetrius T. Paris Junior Professor at the Georgia Tech
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)