Early Origins of the Royster family
The surname Royster was first found in South Yorkshire
at Royston, now a village within the Metropolitan borough of Barnsley. Historically it was in the West Riding of Yorkshire
, but was incorporated into the Metropolitan borough of Barnsley in 1974. Alternatively, the name could have been derived from Royston, a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, partly in the hundred
of Armingford, in Herefordshire
. "This town derived its name from a cross erected in the highway here, in the reign of William the Conqueror, by the Lady Roysia, Countess of Norfolk: the cross was called Royse's Cross; and a monastery having been established shortly afterwards by Eustachius de Mere and others, which led to the erection of houses, the place acquired the appellation of Royse's Town, whence its present name. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant
of the lands of Royston, Ulchel an under tenant
of Ilbert de Lacy, a great Norman noble who was recorded in the Domesday Book
census of 1086.
Early History of the Royster family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Royster research.Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1310, 1601 and 1686 are included under the topic Early Royster History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Royster Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Royston, Roysten, Royster, Roister, Roisten and many more.
Early Notables of the Royster family (pre 1700)
Another 24 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Royster Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Royster family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Royster Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Royster, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1841
Contemporary Notables of the name Royster (post 1700)
- Vermont Connecticut Royster (1914-1996), American editor of The Wall Street Journal from 1958 to 1971, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1986 and won two Pulitzer Prizes: Editorial Writing in 1953; and Commentary in 1984
- Willie Arthur Royster (1954-2015), American Major League Baseball player who played four games with the Baltimore Orioles in 1981
- Robert Royster (1923-2011), birth name of Archbishop Dmitri, American hierarch of the Orthodox Church in America
- Mazio Denmar Vesey Royster (b. 1970), American professional NFL football player who played for Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1992 to 1996
- Tony Royster Jr. (b. 1984), German born American drummer
- Jerry Royster (b. 1952), American Major League Baseball coach and former player who played from 1973 through 1988
- Evan Royster (b. 1987), American NFL football running back