100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Italian
The name Rossi is derived from the Italian word "Rosso," which comes from the Latin words "Rubius and Rossius," which mean "red." As a surname, Rossi was originally a nickname
for a person with red hair or a reddish complexion. Nickname
surnames usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. Although the most common type of family name found in Tuscany
is the patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name, the nickname type of surname is also frequently found.
The surname Rossi was first found in the cites of Trento, Udine, Vicenza, Venice
, Savigliano, Pisa, Ravenna, and Rome. Some of the family migrated as far south as Sicily
. This southern branch of the family descended from Count Ugone Rosso of Sicily
, whose ancestors were Normans.
Surnames that originated in Italy are characterized by an enormous number of spelling variations. Some of these are derived from regional traditions and dialects. Northern names, for instance, often end in "o", while southern names tend to end in "i". Other variations come from the fact the medieval scribes tended to spell according to the sound of words, rather than any particular set of rules. The recorded variations of Rossi include Rosso, Rossa, Rossi, Del Rosso, De Rossi, De Russi, Lo Russo, Lorusso, La Russa, Larussa, Rosselli, Rossello, Rossellini, Ruggiu, Ruiu, Ruju, Rubiu, Rossillo, Rossetto, Rossit, Rossini, Rossitti, Rossitto, Rossotto, Russotti, Russello, Russetti, Russino, Russiani, Rossoni, Rossetti, Roussini, Rosselino, Rossato, Della Rossa, DeRossi, De Rubeis, Russo and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rossi research. Another 59 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1176, 1197, 1204, 1325, 1564, 1439, 1507, 1602, 1656, 1659, 1715 and 1783 are included under the topic Early Rossi History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 311 words (22 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rossi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Rossi
Rossi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Louis Rossi, who arrived in New York in 1823
- M Rossi, aged 45, landed in Key West, Fla in 1839
- Tomas Rossi, aged 30, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1840
- Andrew, Alexander, John and Otto Rossi settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1798 and 1849
- Alberto Rossi, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
Rossi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adelina Rossi, aged 16, who landed in America from Melizzeno, in 1902
- Joseph Rossi, who landed in Arkansas in 1903
- Albina Rossi, aged 15, who landed in America, in 1903
- Adolfo Rossi, aged 48, who emigrated to the United States from Rome, in 1904
- A. Rossi, aged 24, who landed in America from Italy, in 1904
- Steve Rossi (1932-2014), born Joseph Charles Tafarella, an American stand-up comedian and actor
- Marc A. Rossi, American politician, Representative from Virginia 10th District, 2000
- Lynda Rossi, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 2004
- Joseph A. Rossi, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 38th District, 1978
- George Rossi, American Republican politician, Candidate for New Jersey State House of Assembly 33rd District, 1975
- Ernest F. Rossi, American politician, Candidate for Circuit Judge in Michigan 3rd Circuit, 1959
- Emil P. Rossi, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 1st District, 1996, 1998, 2000
- Deborah L. Rossi, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Anthony L. Rossi, American politician, Mayor of Millbrae, California, 1952
- Angelo Joseph Rossi (1878-1948), American politician, Mayor of San Francisco, California, 1931-44
- Descendants of Nicola Dall'Ava Including Related Families, Viale and Rossi, of Vicenza, Italy and Berkshire County, Massachusetts by Phyllis Walker Johnson.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Guelfi Camajani, Piero. Dizionario Araldico 1940 Reprint Arnoaldo Forni. Milan: 1978. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
The Rossi Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rossi Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 March 2016 at 13:23.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!