Noble surnames, such as Rosillo, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Rosillo, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain
, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Rosillo family originally lived in a place where wild roses grew. The surname is derived from the Latin word rosa, which means rose. The family name Rosillo is also derived from the given name Rose.
Early Origins of the Rosillo family
The surname Rosillo was first found in Old Castile
, in the mountains near Santander.
Early History of the Rosillo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rosillo research.Another 381 words (27 lines of text) covering the year 1352 is included under the topic Early Rosillo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rosillo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Ros, de Ros, Rosas, de Rosas, Rosa, de la Rosa, Rosal, del Rosal, Rosales, de Rosales, Rosete, Rosano, Rosana, Roso and many more.
Early Notables of the Rosillo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were seventeenth century Chilean historian Diego de Rosales, a Jesuit priest who defended the rights of the Indians; seventeenth century Spanish playwright Pedro Rosete; nineteenth century Argentinian military officer Leonardo Rosales; nineteenth century Spanish painter Eduardo... Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rosillo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rosillo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rosillo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Rafael Rosillo, aged 15, who landed in America, in 1896
Rosillo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angeles Rosillo, aged 19, who settled in America from Madrid Spain, in 1908
- F.A. Rosillo, aged 65, who emigrated to the United States from Madrid Spain, in 1908
- Fermin Rosillo, aged 27, who settled in America from Madrid Spain, in 1908
- Domingo Rosillo, aged 35, who landed in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1916
- Salustiano Rosillo, aged 16, who emigrated to America from Barcelona, Spain, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Rosillo (post 1700)
- Joaquina Rosillo (b. 1993), team handball player from Uruguay
- Brigadier General Antonio Canales Rosillo (1802-1852), Mexican politician, surveyor, and military officer