on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The history of the Rockwell family name begins after the Norman Conquest
of 1066. They lived in either of two locations, one in Buckinghamshire
, and one in Somerset
. The places were originally called Rockholt,
from the elements hroc,
The surname Rockwell was first found in Essex
where they held a family seat
from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy
, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Anglo-Norman names tend to be marked by an enormous number of spelling variations. This is largely due to the fact that Old and Middle English lacked any spelling rules when Norman French was introduced in the 11th century. The languages of the English courts at that time were French and Latin. These various languages mixed quite freely in the evolving social milieu. The final element of this mix is that medieval scribes spelled words according to their sounds rather than any definite rules, so a name was often spelled in as many different ways as the number of documents it appeared in. The name was spelled Rockwell, Rokelle, Rockewell, Rokele, Rokewell and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rockwell research. Another 197 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1300 and 1324 are included under the topic Early Rockwell History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
More information is included under the topic Early Rockwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Because of the political and religious discontent in England
, families began to migrate abroad in enormous numbers. Faced with persecution and starvation at home, the open frontiers and generally less oppressive social environment of the New World seemed tantalizing indeed to many English people. The trip was difficult, and not all made it unscathed, but many of those who did get to Canada and the United States made important contributions to the young nations in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers with Rockwell name or one of its variants:
Rockwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William, Susannah, Ruth and John Rockwell settled in Nantasket in 1630
- William Rockwell, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1630
- Thomas Rockwell settled in Virginia in 1637 along with Mary
- Robert Rockwell, who landed in Virginia in 1638
Rockwell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Rockwell, who arrived in Virginia in 1719
Rockwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- C. W. Rockwell arrived in New York in 1823
- Edward S Rockwell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Edward Rockwell arrived in San Francisco in 1850
- George Rockwell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Rockwell Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Asahel Rockwell, who landed in Canada in 1828
- Orrin Porter "Old Port" Rockwell (1813-1815), American Wild West law man in the Utah Territory, bodyguard and personal friend of Joseph Smith
- Llewellyn Harrison "Lew" Rockwell Jr. (b. 1944), American libertarian political commentator, activist, CEO of the Ludwig von Mises Institute
- Richard "Dick" Waring Rockwell (1920-2006), American comic strip and comic book artist, nephew of Norman Rockwell
- Betty Rockwell, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arizona, 1956
- Almon Ferdinand Rockwell (b. 1899), American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Brussels, 1921-22; Frankfort, 1924
- Albert Fenimore Rockwell (1862-1925), American Republican politician, Inventor; Manufacturer; Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bristol, 1907-10
- Bradley L. Rockwell, American politician, Representative from Texas 10th District, 1982; Green Candidate for justice of Texas State Supreme Court, 2002
- Charles Rockwell, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Norwich, 1822
- Charles F. Rockwell, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 1920
- Charles W. Rockwell, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Norwich, 1834, 1836; Member of Connecticut State Senate 8th District, 1844
- 1150 Years of Continuous Rockwell Families Descent A.D. 827 to 1977 by Ross Robert Rockwell.
- A History and Genealogy of the Rockwell and Thayer Families by Willard Frederick Rockwell.
- Rockwell Families from the Beginning of Time and Forever by RossRobert Rockwell.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Rockwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rockwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 June 2016 at 14:13.
on orders of $85 or more