on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Riehl family come from? What is the German Riehl family crest and coat of arms? When did the Riehl family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Riehl family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Reimers, Reimer, Rimers, Rimer, Reymer, Reymers, Reimar, Reimars, Reimarus, Rheimer, Remer, Remers, Remmer, Remmers, Ramer, Ramers, Raimer, Raimers, Reinmar and many more.
First found in Austria, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Chronicles first mention Johann Reimers of Bremen in 1293, Nokel Reimar of Eger, Bohemia, in 1350, and Hensl Raimer of Olmuetz. The oldest form of the name is "Reinmar" or "Reginmar," which meant literally "famous councillor." Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Riehl research. Another 363 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1738, 1694, 1768, 1200 and 1260 are included under the topic Early Riehl History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 197 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Riehl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Riehl Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Gottfrid Riehl, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Simon Riehl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Nicholas Riehl, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Hans Riehl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Jonas Riehl, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1742
Riehl Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Riehl, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1828
- George Riehl, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1834
- Phil Riehl, who arrived in America in 1853
- Regina Riehl, aged 24, landed in America in 1854
- Herbert Riehl (1915-1997), German-born American meteorologist who is widely regarded as the father of tropical meteorology
- Matt Riehl, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 2008
- John Riehl, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of New Milford, New Jersey, 1952
- Charles F. Riehl, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maryland, 1888
- Wilhelm Heinrich Riehl (1823-1897), German journalist, novelist and folklorist
- Nikolaus Riehl (1901-1990), German nuclear chemist
- Kevin Riehl (b. 1971), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Alois Adolf Riehl (1844-1924), Austrian philosopher
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
The Riehl Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Riehl Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2015 at 09:45.
on orders of $85 or more