Riegler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Riegler lie in the southern regions of Swabia, Bavaria, and Austria. The name is derived from the Middle High German words "reigel" or "reiger," both meaning "heron." The name was likely first bestowed on someone thought to have the characteristics of a heron as a nickname, eventually becoming a hereditary surname.
Early Origins of the Riegler family
The surname Riegler was first found in Bavaria, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name Rieger became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
Early History of the Riegler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Riegler research. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1790 and 1792 are included under the topic Early Riegler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Riegler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rieger, Reiger, Riegger, Reigger, Riegar, Reigar, Riger, Rigger, Ryger, Rygger, Riegler and many more.
Early Notables of the Riegler family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Riegler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Riegler migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Riegler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joh Andreas Riegler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748 
- Johan Stephan Riegler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
Riegler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Chistopher Riegler, who settled in Ohio in 1869
- Christoph Riegler, who landed in Cincinnati, Oh in 1869-1870 
- Fritz Riegler, who arrived in Arkansas in 1886 
- John G Riegler, who landed in Arkansas in 1886 
Contemporary Notables of the name Riegler (post 1700) +
- Adam Riegler, American child actor, best known as as Pugsley Addams in The Addams Family (2010)
- Jan-Marc Riegler (b. 1988), Austrian footballer
- Helmut Riegler (b. 1976), Austrian footballer
- Michael Riegler (b. 1979), Liechtenstein alpine skier who competed at the 2002 Winter Olympics
- Alessandra Riegler (b. 1961), Italian International Correspondence Chess Grandmaster
- Heinz Riegler, Austrian-born, Australian musician based in Brisbane
- Johann Riegler (1929-2011), Austrian football midfielder
- Claudia Riegler (b. 1973), Austrian silver and bronze medalist snowboarder at the FIS Snowboarding World Championships (2011)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)