The Riccardo surname comes from the personal (first) name Riccardo, which is the Italian cognate of Richard.
Early Origins of the Riccardo family
The surname Riccardo was first found in Sardinia (Italian: Sardegna, Sardinian: Sardigna), the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. The original inhabitants were Sicels. The Greeks colonized the island in 735 B.C. and Phoenician settlements began in 6th century. The Carthaginians arrived in 410, followed by the Romans
. After the decline of Rome, the island was under the power of the Saracens. Then in 1057, Sicily
was conquered by the Normans
. The time of conquest is said to be Sicily's brightest hour, having made the Sicilians the leading Maritime power in the Mediterranean and King Roger of Sicily
one of Europe's greatest kings. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Riccardo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Riccardo research.Another 339 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1368, 1449, 1585, 1639, and 1833 are included under the topic Early Riccardo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Riccardo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Rizzardi, Riccardi, Riccardo, Ricciardi, Ricciardo, Riccardini, Ricciardella, Rizzardini, Cardini, Cardazzo and many more.
Early Notables of the Riccardo family (pre 1700)
Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Riccardo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Riccardo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Riccardo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bronzo Riccardo, who arrived in New York in 1912
Contemporary Notables of the name Riccardo (post 1700)
- Martin V. Riccardo (b. 1957), American writer, researcher, and lecturer on vampires
- Riccardo Fortini (1957-2009), Italian high jumper who competed at the 1976 Summer Olympics
- Riccardo Zappa, American composer, known for his work on Little Flames (1985)
- Riccardo Garrone (1926-2016), Italian film actor who appeared in more than 140 films from 1949 until 2014
- Riccardo Benay Ingram (1966-2015), American former Major League Baseball player who played from 1994 to 1995
- Riccardo Pasquini (1849-1937), Italian painter
- Riccardo Ventre (b. 1944), Italian politician, Member of the European Parliament for Southern
- Riccardo Patrick Emilio "Rick" Lisi (b. 1956), Canadian former Major League Baseball outfielder
- Riccardo Ehrmann (b. 1929), retired Italian journalist
- Riccardo Bocchino (b. 1988), Italian rugby union player