The surname Rettke is derived from the Middle Low German "redik" for radish. The name was therefore occupational
, applied to greengrocers, such as the Reddich recorded in Greifswald in 1303, and the one in Stralsund in 1325.
Early Origins of the Rettke family
The surname Rettke was first found in Austria
, where the name became noted for its many branches within the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied and enrolled by the princes of the region. One of the first written records of the name dates from the year 1245 when one Nicolus dictus (son of) Rettich was listed on the live Register of Freiburg. In their later history they became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they developed into this most influential family.
Early History of the Rettke family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rettke research.Another 236 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1784 and 1815 are included under the topic Early Rettke History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rettke Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Rettich, Rettig, Retteg, Rettick, Retich, Retig, Retick, Reddig (northern Germany), Reddich (northern Germany), Rethke, Rettke (Slavic) and many more.
Early Notables of the Rettke family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rettke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rettke family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rettke Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Gertrude Rettke, aged 11, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Rettke Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hubert Rettke, aged 8, who settled in America from Prebendow, Germany, in 1922
- Therese Rettke, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Prebendow, Germany, in 1922
- Elfriede Rettke, aged 19, who landed in America from Prebendow, Germany, in 1922
Contemporary Notables of the name Rettke (post 1700)
- Justin Rettke, American script coordinator, known for his work on Hawaii Five-0 (2010), Meter Maids (2011) and That Which Is Within (2009)