100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Reno is a local
name, derived from the Rhine River. The Rhine starts in Basel, Switzerland
, and bends north through the German countryside until it reaches the North Sea, passing through the cities of Freiburg, Frankfurt, Bonn, and Cologne. Local
names are based upon the place where the original bearer lived or held land.
The surname Reno was first found in Switzerland
, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as they emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rhine, Rheina, Rhyne, Rhyn, Rheine, Rein, Ryne, Rine, Reno and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reno research. Another 533 words (38 lines of text) covering the years 1187, 1281, 1805, 1795, 1290, 1436, 1451, 1802, 1809, 1408, 1502, 1780, 1802, 1643 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Reno History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 181 words (13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Reno Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Reno Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Claude Reno, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Isaac Reno, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Isaac Reno, who sailed to Philadelphia in 1751
- Francis Reno, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Peter Reno, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752
Reno Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Stephen Reno, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Reno Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Giacomo Reno, who landed in Arkansas in 1900
- Jack Reno, who landed in Arkansas in 1900
- Jesse Wilford Reno (1861-1947), American inventor of the first working escalator in 1891
- Lieutenant Commander Walter Elsworth Reno (1881-1917), United States Navy officer, eponym of the USS Reno (DD-303) and the USS Reno (CL-96)
- Don Wesley Reno (1927-1984), American bluegrass and country musician
- Jesse Lee Reno (1823-1862), Union General during the American Civil War
- Janet Wood Reno (b. 1938), former Attorney General of the United States (1993-2001)
- Ottie W. Reno, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1972, 1996
- Lawson Reno, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1924
- Janet Reno (b. 1938), American Democrat politician, Dade County State's Attorney, 1978-93; U.S. Attorney General, 1993-2001; The first female U.S. attorney general ; Candidate in primary for Governor of Florida, 2002
- Earl C. Reno, American politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1932; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 14th District, 1934
- Claude Trexler Reno (b. 1882), American Republican politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives, 1911-12,Pennsylvania State Attorney General, 1939; Appointed 1939; Superior Court Judge in Pennsylvania, 1942-43
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
The Reno Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Reno Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2016 at 10:26.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!