Reitze History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Reitze family
The surname Reitze was first found in Austria, where the name Reitze became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history, bearers of the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. The origin of the name is very uncertain. The most likely possibility is that it is taken from a place in Pommerania and that then the family migrated south to Austria. It could also be taken from a shortened form of the personal names Ragizo, Raginhart or Reginbrandt. A third possibility is that Reitze is a variation of another surname, such as Reis. The family is so wide-spread that likely more than one of these possibilities is true and that several different families of the same name arose in different areas of Germany.
Early History of the Reitze family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reitze research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Reitze History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Reitze Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Reitz, Reits, Reitzel, Reizo and others.
Early Notables of the Reitze family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Reitze Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Reitze migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Reitze Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jaques Reitze, who landed in Charles Town, South Carolina in 1782 
Reitze Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Maria Josepha Reitze, who arrived in America in 1849 
Contemporary Notables of the name Reitze (post 1700) +
- David Reitze (b. 1961), American laser physicist, Professor of Physics at the University of Florida
- Wesley G. Reitze, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1948 
- Anna Reitze, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1924 
- Johanne Reitze (1878-1949), born Johanne Leopolt, a German politician (SPD) and early women's rights activist
- Cristián Reitze Campos, Chilean politician and businessman, Member of the Humanist Party of Chile
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html