on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Reiter family come from? What is the German Reiter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Reiter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Reiter family history?The Reiter surname is derived from the Middle High German word "rîter," which means "horseback rider" or "knight." It is thus likely that the first people to adopt this as a surname were either knights or descendants of knights.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Reiter, Reitter, Reither, Reitther, Reitterer, Reiter, Reiterer, Reyterer, Reyter, Reitel and many more.
First found in Austria, where this family became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Chronicles first mention Johann and Heinrich Riter of Ravensberg in 1326, Joerg Reiterer of Tirol in 1538, and Nicolaus Reyterer of Bruenn in 1365. The literal meaning of the word is "horseman," and is also related to the word "Ritter" which means "knight." Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reiter research. Another 219 words(16 lines of text) covering the year 1792 is included under the topic Early Reiter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Reiter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Reiter Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henrig Reiter, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Mattys Reiter, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Samuel Reiter, who landed in New York in 1709
- Susanna Reiter, who arrived in America in 1732
- Peter Reiter, who landed in Georgia in 1734-1741
Reiter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Magdalen Reiter, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803
- Geroge Reiter, aged 33, arrived in Missouri in 1840
- Theres Reiter, who landed in North America in 1850
- Christiane Reiter, aged 26, landed in New York in 1854
- Christine Reiter, who arrived in New York in 1854
Reiter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Vendelin Reiter, aged 26, arrived in New York, NY in 1900
- Susan Reiter, aged 23, landed in New York, NY in 1900
- Leonard Reiter, who arrived in Arkansas in 1905
- John Reiter, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
- William Martin Reiter, distinguished American chemical engineer
- Eugene Anthony Reiter, American vice-president of the 1st Vermont Bank, Church Falls, Va. (1964-)
- Charles "Charlie" Reiter (b. 1988), American professional soccer player
- Thomas Arthur Reiter (b. 1958), German retired European astronaut
- Brigadier General Thomas Arthur Reiter (b. 1958), German retired European astronaut, Director of Human Spaceflight and Operations at the European Space Agency (ESA)
- Markus Reiter (b. 1976), German football manager
- Frederick Reiter, Polish immigrant who became a prominent New York dentist
- Lubomír Reiter (b. 1974), Slovak football striker who played from 1995 to 2008
- Raymond Reiter (1939-2002), Canadian computer scientist and logician, winner of the IJCAI Award for Research Excellence in 1993
- Claude Reiter (b. 1981), Luxembourg footballer
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
The Reiter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Reiter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 April 2015 at 20:44.
on orders of $85 or more