Reeser History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origin of the proud surname Reeser can be traced to the historic kingdom of Bohemia, which is now part of the Czech Republic. In the Middle Ages, many of the Bohemians were a part of the Holy Roman Empire, which was characterized by the Feudal System. Before this era, people were known only by a single name. However, as the population increased and travel became more prevalent, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves. Many people, such as the Reeser family, adopted the name of their feudal occupation as their surname. The name goes back to the mediaeval German "ris" or "risle," which meant literally "branch" or "twig,"and the surname was an occupational name for a wood carver.
Early Origins of the Reeser family
The surname Reeser was first found in Bohemia, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. They later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. Chronicles first mention Clesse Reysse of Mainz in 1444, and Leonhart Reiser of Nuremberg in 1443. The name goes back to the mediaeval German "ris" or "risle," which meant literally "branch" or "twig." Reisser could also refer to a wood carver.
Early History of the Reeser family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reeser research. Another 140 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1505, 1606, 1645, 1870, and 1897 are included under the topic Early Reeser History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Reeser Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Reis, Reisle ( Bavaria, Swabia), Reiss, Reisse, Riess, Ries, Reise, Reisz, Reiser, Reisser, Riser, Reysse, Reys, Reyss, Rice, Ris, Risse, Rise, Risle and many more.
Early Notables of the Reeser family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Reeser Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Reeser migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Reeser Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Matthias Reeser, aged 26, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1736 
- John Reeser, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753 
- William Reeser, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1761 
- Adam Reeser, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Contemporary Notables of the name Reeser (post 1700) +
- Morgan Irwin Reeser (b. 1962), American silver medalist sailor at the 1992 Summer Olympics
- Sara Louise Reeser (b. 1925), American former infielder who played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League between 1946 and 1950
- Autumn Alicia Reeser (b. 1980), American actress, best known for her role as Taylor Townsend on the Fox series The O.C
- Wade M. Reeser, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Armstrong County, 1960 
- Dick Reeser, American Democrat politician, Mayor of New Kensington, Pennsylvania, 1937 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html