Redondo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Redondo, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Redondo, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. Many Spanish local names reflect Arabic words or place-names because Spain was conquered by the Muslim Moors from the 8th to 12th centuries. The Redondo family originally lived in a round place, such as a field or meadow.
Early Origins of the Redondo family
The surname Redondo was first found in Castile, an important medieval Christian kingdom in northern Spain.
Early History of the Redondo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Redondo research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1127, 1653, 1702, 1789 and 1795 are included under the topic Early Redondo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Redondo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Arredondo, de Arredondo, Arredonda, Redondo, Redonda, Redondela, Rodó and many more.
Early Notables of the Redondo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family Isidoro Arredondo (1653-1702), court painter to King Carlos II; and Nicolás Antonio de Arredondo, Viceroy of Río de la Plata from 1789-1795. He had the streets of Buenos Aires paved, and protected and developed the Argentinian cattle...
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Redondo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Redondo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Redondo Settlers in United States in the 16th Century
- Bartolomé Redondo, who sailed to New Spain in 1536
- Francisco Redondo, who sailed to Florida in 1538
Redondo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Juan Redondo, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803 
- Bartolome Redondo, who landed in New Spain in 1836 
- Francisco Redondo, who arrived in Florida in 1838 
- Francis Redondo, aged 36, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1847 
- Enrique Redondo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1860 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Redondo (post 1700) +
- Nestor Redondo (1928-1995), comic-book artist best-known for his work for DC Comics, Marvel Comics, and other American publishers in the 1970s and early 1980s
- José Antonio Redondo (b. 1985), Spanish racing cyclist
- Onésimo Redondo (1905-1936), Spanish Falangist politician
- Jésus Redondo (b. 1934), Spanish comic artist
- Manuel Redondo (b. 1985), Spanish footballer
- Juan Luis Fernández Redondo (b. 1977), Spanish professional footballer
- Nicolás Redondo, Spanish trade union official
- Fernando Redondo (b. 1978), Argentine sprint canoer
- Fernando Carlos Redondo (b. 1969), retired Argentine professional footballer
- Onésimo Redondo Ortega, Spanish politician
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)