Reasoner History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Bavaria, Germany is the ancestral home of the Reasoner family. The Germans began using hereditary surnames in the 12th century. Reasoner is an occupational name, which was derived from the kind of work done by the original bearer. It is a name for a wood carver. Checking further we found the name was derived from the medieval German word ris or risle, which means branch or twig. Furthermore, there are numerous places in Germany named Reisen. There is a town called Reisen in Bavaria and a town Reissen in Thuringia.
Early Origins of the Reasoner family
The surname Reasoner was first found in Bavaria, where the name became noted for its many branches within the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied and enrolled by the princes of the region. The name may have its origin, or the family may have lent its name to the town Reisen in Bavaria and the town Reissen in Thuringia. Chronicles first mention Hanke von Reysen of Glatz in 1348, and the name Reisner is found in 1348 in Bruenn, 1386 in Kolion, and 1383 in Wuerzburg. The variation Reyssener is found in Freiberg as early as 1465. In their later history the various branches became a powers unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as their influence grew.
Early History of the Reasoner family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reasoner research. Another 128 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1653, 1816, 1533, 1580, 1816, 1752, 1680, 1725 and 1680 are included under the topic Early Reasoner History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Reasoner Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Reasoner include Reisner, Reisener, Reissner, Reissener, Reisne, Reisen, Reissen, Reissne, Reysner, Reyssner, Reysener, Reyssener, Risener and many more.
Early Notables of the Reasoner family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the name Reasoner in this period include Friedrich Risner (c.1533-1580), German mathematician, the first to propose the idea of a portable camera obscura; Lieutenant Field-Marshal Reisner, who was awarded the title of Baron in 1816 for his 40 years of outstanding service in the artillery divisions in Vienna. The variation Reissen was represented by a family that came from...
Another 62 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Reasoner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Reasoner is the 17,592nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Reasoner migration to the United States +
The great European flow of migration to North America, which began in the middle of the 17th century and continued into the 20th century, was particularly attractive to those from Bavaria who wished to escape either poverty or religious persecution. For many Bavarian tenant farmers, the chance to own their own land was a major incentive. So the widespread colonization of the United States began in 1650, when many immigrants from Germany settled in pockets in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. In Canada, German settlement centered in Ontario and the prairie provinces. Among those of this surname listed in various historical records were:
Reasoner Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Benjamin Reasoner, aged 82, who settled in America, in 1906
- Edward Reasoner, aged 45, who settled in America from Kingston, in 1906
- Oliver Reasoner, aged 40, who immigrated to America from Kingston, in 1906
- Arthur Reasoner, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1910
- Egbert Norman Reasoner, aged 43, who immigrated to the United States, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Reasoner (post 1700) +
- Frank Stanley Reasoner (1937-1965), American officer of the United States Marine Corps who posthumously received the Medal of Honor, eponym of the USS Reasoner (FF-1063)
- Tommy Reasoner (b. 1967), retired U.S. soccer player
- Michael J. "Mike" Reasoner (b. 1960), American politician, former the Iowa State Representative
- Harry Truman Reasoner (1923-1991), American journalist for ABC and CBS News, founder of the 60 Minutes program
- Martin Reasoner (b. 1977), American professional NHL ice hockey center for the New York Islanders
- Louise Reasoner, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Missouri, 2008 
- H. R. Reasoner, American politician, Farmer-Labor Candidate for U.S. Representative from Iowa 10th District, 1920 
- Stephen M. Reasoner (1944-2004), United States federal judge
Related Stories +