Early Origins of the Raffo family
The surname Raffo was first found in Calabria a territorial district of Italy. Ancient Calabria was in Lecce. Modern Calabria is in the southern extremity of Italy coasting the straits of Messina. Reggio and Messina are the cities of note. This beautiful region produces wine. Olive oil and fruit. Reggio was heavily bombed during WWII because of its strategical link with Sicily
. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry and of Norman extraction. They were described as a Norman Magna Domus. Serio o Sigerio Ruffo was Marshall of Calabria during the reign of Frederido II of Sicily.
Early History of the Raffo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Raffo research.Another 145 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1235, 1233, 1316, 1406, 1508, 1587, 1544, 1563, 1572, 1663 and 1753 are included under the topic Early Raffo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Raffo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Ruffo, Ruvo, DeRuvo, DeRuffo, De Ruffo, Di Ruffo, Ruffola and many more.
Early Notables of the Raffo family (pre 1700)
By the end of the 15th century, southern Italy was known as the Kingdom of Naples, ruled by the house of Aragon
. By the early eighteenth century, the Austrians had gained much of the region, under the rule of the Austrian
emperor Kales VI. However, in 1734, Spaniard Don Carlos defeated the Austrians, and the region came under Spanish rule once more. In 1799, the French invaded... Another 66 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Raffo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Raffo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Raffo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anto. Raffo, aged 18, who landed in America from Chiavari, in 1899
Raffo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Raffo, aged 42, who settled in America from Genova, in 1902
- Angela Raffo, aged 22, who landed in America from Reppio, in 1903
- Antonio Raffo, aged 54, who immigrated to the United States from Genoa, Italy, in 1907
- Amelia Raffo, aged 11, who landed in America from Boseggeola, Napoli, in 1909
- Angela Raffo, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States from Genoa, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Raffo (post 1700)
- Albert Martin Raffo (b. 1941), American former Major League Baseball pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1969
- Heather Raffo, American Lucille Lortel Award-winning Iraqi American playwright and actress
- Carlos Alberto Raffo (1926-2013), Argentine football striker
- Carlos Fernando Raffo Arce, Peruvian politician and a Congressman representing Lima from 2006 to 2011
- Norberto Raffo (1939-2008), Argentine football striker
- Hernán Leopoldo Raffo Raffo Abarca (1929-2012), Chilean basketball player at the 1948 Summer Olympics, 1952 Summer Olympics and 1956 Summer Olympics
- Raffo Reynolds, American Republican politician, Candidate for Kentucky State House of Representatives 36th District, 1975 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
Raffo Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html