Raffaele History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Raffaele family
The surname Raffaele was first found in Lucca, a city and comune in Tuscany, capital of the province of Lucca and where Bascilican type churches abound. The history commences in 218 B.C., and passed through many hands in the intervening centuries. Many notable scholars and prelates lived here. The cathedral of St Martin was begun in 1060 by Bishop Anselm, later Pope Alexander II. It has many museums and galleries. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Raffaele family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Raffaele research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1220, 1263, and 1535 are included under the topic Early Raffaele History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Raffaele Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Raffaele, Raffaeli, Raffaèle, Raffaèli, Raffaèlo, Raffèlli, Rafèle, Raphaèl, Raffaèllo, Raphae'l, Raphaël and many more.
Early Notables of the Raffaele family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Raffaele Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Raffaele is the 18,031st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Raffaele migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Raffaele Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cecelia Raffaele, who settled in New York in 1906
Contemporary Notables of the name Raffaele (post 1700) +
- Joseph Raffaele, founder of the American Orthodox Catholic Church, Western Rite Mission, Diocese of New York
- Thomas D. Raffaele, American Democratic Party politician, Justice of New York Supreme Court 11th District; Elected 2009 
- Carlo Raffaele (b. 1982), Italian football player
- Stefano Raffaele (b. 1970), Italian comic book artist
- Angelo Raffaele Sodano GCC (1927-2022), Italian prelate of the Catholic Church, Dean of the College of Cardinals from 2005 to 2019 and Cardinal Secretary of State from 1991 to 2006
- Cardinal Renato Raffaele Martino (b. 1932), Italian Cardinal Deacon and President of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace
- Raffaele La Capria (1922-2022), Italian novelist and screenwriter, winner of the Strega Prize
- Raffaele Iannuzzi (b. 1928), birth name of Lino Jannuzzi, an Italian journalist and politician
- Raffaele "Lele" Pinto (1945-2020), Italian rally driver who won the 1974 Rally Portugal
- Raffaele Spidalieri, Italian professor at the University of Verona
Related Stories +