Raffa History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Raffa family
The surname Raffa was first found in Lucca, a city and comune in Tuscany, capital of the province of Lucca and where Bascilican type churches abound. The history commences in 218 B.C., and passed through many hands in the intervening centuries. Many notable scholars and prelates lived here. The cathedral of St Martin was begun in 1060 by Bishop Anselm, later Pope Alexander II. It has many museums and galleries. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Raffa family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Raffa research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1220, 1263, and 1535 are included under the topic Early Raffa History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Raffa Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Raffaele, Raffaeli, Raffaèle, Raffaèli, Raffaèlo, Raffèlli, Rafèle, Raphaèl, Raffaèllo, Raphae'l, Raphaël and many more.
Early Notables of the Raffa family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Raffa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Raffa migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Raffa Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Raffa, aged 35, who immigrated to the United States, in 1893
Raffa Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Raffa, aged 45, who landed in America from Inngoli, Italy, in 1907
- Rosario Raffa, who settled in New Jersey sometime between 1901 and 1908
- A.Mario Raffa, aged 19, who settled in America from Rogfiano, Cosensa, Italy, in 1909
- Anna Raffa, aged 26, who landed in America from Oliveri, Italy, in 1910
- Angelo Raffa, aged 35, who immigrated to America from Belpasso, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Raffa (post 1700) +
- Nancy Raffa, American ballet mistress
Related Stories +