Puglisi History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Puglisi surname, though generally associated with the region of Tuscany is said to have derived from the place name Apulia (Italian Puglia) in southeastern Italy, in the region commonly know as the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. These habitational names, taken on from place names are perhaps the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy. They often bore the prefix "di," which signified emigration from one place to another, and did not necessarily denote nobility.
Early Origins of the Puglisi family
The surname Puglisi was first found in the city of Florence.
Early History of the Puglisi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Puglisi research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1271, 1396, 1600, and 1636 are included under the topic Early Puglisi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Puglisi Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Puglia, Puglielli, Pugliano, Puglianiello, Pugliarello, Pugliatti, Puliatti, Pugliati, Pugliese, Pugliesi and many more.
Early Notables of the Puglisi family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Puglisi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Puglisi migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Puglisi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Andrea Puglisi, aged 45, who landed in America from Villarosa, Sicily, in 1907
- Agata Puglisi, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States from Militello, Italy, in 1909
- Angelo Puglisi, aged 21, who landed in America from Castrogiovanni, Italy, in 1909
- Alfio Puglisi, aged 20, who settled in America from Roccolumera, Italy, in 1910
- Agata Puglisi, aged 18, who landed in America from Zafferono, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Puglisi (post 1700) +
- Salvatore J. Puglisi, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Middletown, Connecticut, 1960-71 
- Claudio Puglisi (b. 1960), Italian former football referee and linesman
- Marcello Puglisi (b. 1986), Italian racing driver
- Giuseppe 'Pino' Puglisi (1937-1993), Italian Roman Catholic priest who challenged the Mafia who controlled his neighbourhood, and was accordingly killed by them on his 56th birthday, inspiration of the film, In the Sunlight (2005)
Related Stories +