100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Prouty family come from? What is the English Prouty family crest and coat of arms? When did the Prouty family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Prouty family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Proud, Proude, Prout, Prowd and others.
First found in Shropshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Prouty research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1348, 1409, 1391, 1394, 1783 and 1852 are included under the topic Early Prouty History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 77 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Prouty Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Prouty Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Prouty, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1832
- N Prouty, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Prouty Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Owen Prouty, who arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1831
- Winston Lewis Prouty (1906-1971), American politician, United States Senator from Vermont (1959-1971)
- George Herbert Prouty (1862-1918), American politician, 52nd Governor of Vermont (1908-1910)
- Solomon Francis Prouty (1854-1927), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Iowa (1911-1915)
- Leroy Fletcher Prouty (1917-2001), American Chief of Special Operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President John F. Kennedy, inspiration for the character "Mr. X" in Oliver Stone's movie JFK
- Jed Prouty (1879-1956), American film actor who appeared in 148 features, best known for Pot o' Gold (1941), Love on a Budget (1938) and One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937)
- Patia Prouty, American three-time Costume Designers Guild Award nominated costume designer, known for her work on Cold Case (2003), Justified (2010) and Banshee (2013)
- Stephen Prouty, American Academy Award nominated makeup artist, known for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006), Thor (2011), Zombieland (2009), and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
- Charles A. Prouty (1853-1921), American Republican politician
- Olive Higgins Prouty (1882-1974), American novelist and poet, best known for her 1922 novel Stella Dallas
- Sally Prouty (b. 1922), born Sarah Green, a retired American table tennis champion, inducted into the United States of America Table Tennis (USATT) Hall of Fame in 1979
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Prouty Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Prouty Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 April 2015 at 09:03.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!