Prinsloo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished surname Prinsloo lie in Holland. The name is derived from the royal title "prins" and the Middle Dutch "lo(o)," meaning "clearing within a forest;" thus, the term "prinsloo" would most likely denote a clearing within a royal forest. The surname was probably first borne by someone who was employed on royal lands.
Early Origins of the Prinsloo family
The surname Prinsloo was first found in Holland, where the ancestral home of the Prinsloo family is thought to be located. It is likely that the first bearers of the name were employed by the royal family and lived in a forest clearing on the royal lands.
Early History of the Prinsloo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Prinsloo research. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Prinsloo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Prinsloo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Prinsloo, Prinzloo and others.
Early Notables of the Prinsloo family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Prinsloo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In South Africa, the name Prinsloo is the 188th most popular surname with an estimated 34,413 people with that name. 
Migration of the Prinsloo family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Elizabeth Petronella Prinsloo of Piquetberg, South Africa, who arrived in America through Ellis Island in 1923; as well as William Jacobus Prinsloo, who arrived at Ellis Island in 1923..
Contemporary Notables of the name Prinsloo (post 1700) +
- Hercules Troyden Prinsloo (b. 1985), South African three-time gold medalist swimmer
- Sandra Prinsloo (b. 1947), South African actress best known for her role as Kate Thompson in the 1980 film The Gods Must Be Crazy
- Louise Prinsloo (b. 1946), South African author and radio script-writer
- Karin Prinsloo (b. 1989), South African fourteen-time gold medalist swimmer, African Swimmer of the Year 2013, 2014
- Commandant Hendrik Frederik Prinsloo (1861-1900), South African Carolina Boer Commando at the Battle of Spion Kop and was killed in action at Witkloof
- Johannes Gouws Prinsloo (b. 1990), South African rugby union footballer
- Hanli Prinsloo, South African freediver, speaker, writer and ocean conservationist
- Christine Seraphine "Chris" Prinsloo (b. 1952), Zimbabwe gold medalist field hockey player at the 1980 Summer Olympics
- Johannes Gerhardus Pienaar "Boom" Prinsloo (b. 1989), South African rugby union footballer
- Maureen Prinsloo (1939-2017), Canadian politician, Chairwoman of the Toronto Police Services Board (1995–1998)
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/south-africa/surnames