Pressler History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Pressler family
The surname Pressler was first found in Lancashire at Preesall, with Hackensall, a township, in the chapelry of Stalmine, parish of Lancaster, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness. " 'Pressonede' in the Domesday Survey was estimated at six carucates of land: the tithes were granted by Roger de Poictou to the priory of Lancaster."  Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Preesall, held by a steward of the King who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086. Literally, the place name means "brushwood headland" from the Old Welsh word "pres" + the Old Viking word "hofuth" or the Old English word "heafod."  Preshaw is a locality near Upham on the slopes of the South Downs.
Early History of the Pressler family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pressler research. Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pressler History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pressler Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Preesall, Presall, Prestall, Presow, Presawe, Prisoe, Priseye, Presoo, Presal, Pristow, Pristowe, Prestoe and many more.
Early Notables of the Pressler family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pressler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Pressler is the 12,542nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Pressler migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pressler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carl Pressler, aged 23, who landed in Galveston, Texas in 1846 aboard the ship "Franziska" 
- Elisabeth Pressler, aged 50, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1876 
- Mary Pressler, aged 19, who arrived in New York in 1893 aboard the ship "Elbe" from Bremen & Southampton 
- Georg Pressler, aged 27, who arrived in New York in 1896 aboard the ship "Southwark" from Antwerp, Belgium 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Pressler (post 1700) ||+|
- Menahem Pressler (1923-2023), German-born Israeli-American pianist and academic teacher
- Herman Paul Pressler III (b. 1930), American retired jurist, Texas State Representative for Harris County (1957-1959), Judge of the 133rd Judicial District in Harris County (1970-1978), Judge of the 14th Texas Court of Appeals (1978-1992)
- Paul Pressler, American businessman, former President and CEO of Gap, Inc. and Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
- Mike Pressler (b. 1960), American lacrosse coach
- Kimberly Pressler (b. 1977), American sports reporter, businesswoman, and former Miss USA
- Larry Lee Pressler (b. 1942), American Republican politician, Rhodes scholar, United States Senator from South Dakota (1979-1997), Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from South Dakota (1975-1979) 
- Henry C. Pressler, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 9th District, 1968, 1970 
- Wilford Pressler, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Michigan 10th District, 1952 
- Orville E. Pressler, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1924 
- Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Ellis Island Search retrieved 15th November 2022. Retrieved from https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/passenger-result
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html