Presnell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Presnell family
The surname Presnell was first found in Lancashire at Preesall, with Hackensall, a township, in the chapelry of Stalmine, parish of Lancaster, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness. " 'Pressonede' in the Domesday Survey was estimated at six carucates of land: the tithes were granted by Roger de Poictou to the priory of Lancaster."  Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Preesall, held by a steward of the King who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086. Literally, the place name means "brushwood headland" from the Old Welsh word "pres" + the Old Viking word "hofuth" or the Old English word "heafod."  Preshaw is a locality near Upham on the slopes of the South Downs.
Early History of the Presnell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Presnell research. Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Presnell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Presnell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Preesall, Presall, Prestall, Presow, Presawe, Prisoe, Priseye, Presoo, Presal, Pristow, Pristowe, Prestoe and many more.
Early Notables of the Presnell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Presnell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Presnell is the 7,654th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Presnell family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Presnell (post 1700) +
- Robert Presnell, American Republican politician, Chair of Yancey County Republican Party, 1952 
- Edwin E. Presnell, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives 24th District, 1974 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html