The Pozzi surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of various places so named. These places names are generally thought to derive from the Italian word "pozzo," meaning "a well"
Early Origins of the Pozzi family
The surname Pozzi was first found in Venice
(Italian: Venezia), and seaport occupying one of the most remarkable sites of the world. Centralizing on the Grand Canal the history of the city can be traced through the different styles of architecture Byzantine, Gothic, early Renaissance
and late Renaissance
. It is rich in ancient palaces, churches, libraries, galleries, monuments, statues, treasures and artifacts. Its history is abundant in politics, art, religion, scholarship and conflict. The ducal palace was commenced in 1309. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Pozzi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pozzi research.Another 235 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1040, 1378, 1582, 1670, 1588, 1657, 1588, 1657, 1642, 1709, 1672, 1752, 1699, 1768, 1701, 1774, 1718, 1769, 1704, 1789, 1750 and 1805 are included under the topic Early Pozzi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pozzi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pózzi, Pozzo, Pozza, Putzu, Putzolo, Pozzato, Pozzatti, Pozzesi, Pozzaito and many more.
Early Notables of the Pozzi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Cassiano dal Pozzo (1588-1657), an Italian scholar and patron of arts, secretary of Cardinal Francesco Barberini; Cassiano dal Pozzo (1588-1657), an Italian scholar and patron of arts; Andrea Pozzo (1642-1709) an Italian painter, architect and stage designer; Giovanni Pozzi (1672-1752)... Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pozzi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pozzi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pozzi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Giov Pozzi, who arrived in America in1855
- Peter Pozzi, who arrived in California in 1875
- Lorenzo Pozzi, who arrived in California in 1875
- Romeo Pozzi, who settled in California in 1888
- Nazereno Pozzi, who arrived in California in 1888
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Pozzi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alvira Pozzi, who arrived in Illinois in 1939
Contemporary Notables of the name Pozzi (post 1700)
- Gianluca Pozzi (b. 1965), Italian professional tennis player
- Nicola Pozzi (b. 1986), Italian footballer
- Andrea Pozzi (b. 1778), Italian painter
- Samuel Jean de Pozzi (1846-1918), French surgeon and gynecologist
- Charles Pozzi (1909-2001), French racing driver
- Catherine Pozzi (1882-1934), French poet and diarist