100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Potgieter family come from? What is the German Potgieter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Potgieter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Potgieter family history?The roots of the distinguished German surname Potgieter lie in the western province of Westphalia. The name is derived from the Westphalian occupational term "Pottgieser," meaning "potter" or "smith who crafts pots and pans," and would have been originally borne by a practitioner of this occupation.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Potgieter, Pottgieter, Pottgieser, Potgieser and others.
First found in Westphalia, where the name originated. The first known bearer of the name was Hermann Potgieter, a resident of Essen in the year 1463. The young Potgieter family played a major role in the development of the medieval society of Westphalia, and quickly became one of the prominent families of the region.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Potgieter research. Another 217 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1463, 1574, 1627, 1635, and 1665 are included under the topic Early Potgieter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Potgieter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Potgieter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lawce. Potgieter, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1893
Potgieter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Tomus Potgieter, aged 23, who settled in America from Oostwolde, in 1903
- Willem Potgieter, aged 64, who landed in America from Scheenda, in 1907
- Johannes T. Potgieter, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from Stellenbosed, S. Africa, in 1921
- Daniel Jacobus Potgieter (b. 1924), South African biochemist
- Nic Potgieter, well-known South African writer
- Jacques-Louis Potgieter (b. 1984), South African rugby player
- Dewald Potgieter (b. 1986), South African professional rugby union rugby player
- Everhardus Johannes Potgieter (1808-1875), Dutch prose writer and poet
- Andries Hendrik Potgieter (1792-1852), Voortrekker leader in South Africa, first head of state of Potchefstroom from 1840 and 1845
- Peter Johannes Potgieter (1822-1854), South African Boer politician, acting head of state of Zoutpansberg between 1852 and 1854
- Jacques Potgieter (b. 1986), South African rugby union player
- Gert Potgieter (1937-1958), South African two-time gold medalist track and field athletics competitor at the 1958 British Empire and Commonwealth Games
- Gerhardus Petrus "Gert" Potgieter (1929-1977), South African opera tenor and actor
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
The Potgieter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Potgieter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2014 at 09:40.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!