Potgieter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Potgieter lie in the western province of Westphalia. The name is derived from the Westphalian occupational term "Pottgieser," meaning "potter" or "smith who crafts pots and pans," and would have been originally borne by a practitioner of this occupation.
Early Origins of the Potgieter family
The surname Potgieter was first found in Westphalia, where the name originated. The first known bearer of the name was Hermann Potgieter, a resident of Essen in the year 1463. The young Potgieter family played a major role in the development of the medieval society of Westphalia, and quickly became one of the prominent families of the region.
Early History of the Potgieter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Potgieter research. Another 172 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1463, 1574, 1627, 1635, and 1665 are included under the topic Early Potgieter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Potgieter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Potgieter, Pottgieter, Pottgieser, Potgieser and others.
Early Notables of the Potgieter family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Potgieter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Potgieter migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Potgieter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lawce. Potgieter, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1893
Potgieter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Tomus Potgieter, aged 23, who settled in America from Oostwolde, in 1903
- Willem Potgieter, aged 64, who landed in America from Scheenda, in 1907
- Johannes T. Potgieter, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Stellenbosed, S. Africa, in 1921
Contemporary Notables of the name Potgieter (post 1700) +
- Gerhardus Petrus "Gert" Potgieter (1929-1977), South African opera tenor and actor
- Gert Potgieter (1937-1958), South African two-time gold medalist track and field athletics competitor at the 1958 British Empire and Commonwealth Games
- Jacques Potgieter (b. 1986), South African rugby union player
- Peter Johannes Potgieter (1822-1854), South African Boer politician, acting head of state of Zoutpansberg between 1852 and 1854
- Andries Hendrik Potgieter (1792-1852), Voortrekker leader in South Africa, first head of state of Potchefstroom from 1840 and 1845
- Everhardus Johannes Potgieter (1808-1875), Dutch prose writer and poet
- Dewald Potgieter (b. 1986), South African professional rugby union rugby player
- Jacques-Louis Potgieter (b. 1984), South African rugby player
- Nic Potgieter, well-known South African writer
- Daniel Jacobus Potgieter (b. 1924), South African biochemist
Related Stories +