Postma History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The original bearer of the surname post would have lived near an important boundary, marked by a pole or post. This surname can be found in many areas in the Netherlands, and is ranked among the most common surnames in the country.
Early Origins of the Postma family
The surname Postma was first found in virtually every province in the Netherlands.
Early History of the Postma family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Postma research. More information is included under the topic Early Postma History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Postma Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Post, van der Post, Vander Post, Poste and others.
Early Notables of the Postma family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Maurits Post (ca.1645-1677) was a Dutch Golden Age architect from Haarlem; Frans Janszoon Post (1612-1680), a Dutch painter; and Pieter Jansz Post (1608-1669), a Dutch Golden Age...
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Postma Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Postma is the 17,606th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Netherlands, the name Postma is ranked the 65th most popular surname with an estimated 13,374 people with that name. 
Postma migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Postma Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dirk Postma, aged 1, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Grietje Postma, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Ins A Postma, aged 35, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Jantje Postma, aged 2, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Aler Postma, aged 25, who settled in America from The Hague, in 1893
Postma Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Gerrit Postma, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from Amsterdam, in 1903
- Catherine Postma, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from Leeuwarden, Holland, in 1906
- Bartel Postma, aged 24, who settled in America from Dautumawoude, Holland, in 1907
- Epe Postma, aged 22, who landed in America from Bolsward, Holland, in 1907
- Anna Postma, aged 4, who immigrated to the United States from Holland, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Postma (post 1700) +
- Antoon Postma (1929-2016), Dutch anthropologist
- Stefan Postma (b. 1976), Dutch professional football player
- Pieter Jan Postma (b. 1982), Dutch Olympic sailor at the 2008 Summer Olympics from Friesland
- Ids Postma (b. 1973), Dutch seven-time gold medalist speed skater
- Gerriet Postma (1932-2009), Dutch abstract painter from Friesland
- Angela Postma (b. 1971), Dutch gold, silver and bronze medalist freestyle swimmer who competed at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Paul Postma (b. 1989), Canadian professional WHL ice hockey player
- Anni Friesinger- Postma (b. 1977), German three-time gold medalist Olympic speed skater
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)