100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Posey family come from? What is the English Posey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Posey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Posey family history?The Posey surname is a habitational name, taken on from Pusey in present-day Oxfordshire, but formerly in Wiltshire. The place name comes from the Old English "peose", or "piosu" meaning "pea" "island," collectively meaning "island, or dry ground in marsh, where peas grow." 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pusey, Powsey, Pusie and others.
First found in Oxfordshire at Pusey, a village and civil parish. The earliest record of the village was in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was listed as Pesei.  Another reference claims "the parish derives its name from the family of Pusey, to whom the manor was granted by Canute the Great; the place was in his time in the possession of Charles Pusey, Esq., who had recovered it in chancery before Lord Chancellor Jeffreys." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Posey research. Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1594, 1665, 1650 and 1727 are included under the topic Early Posey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Posey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Posey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Posey, who arrived in Maryland in 1640
- DeVier Posey (b. 1990), American professional NFL football wide receiver for the Houston Texans
- Carnot Posey (1818-1863), Mississippi planter and lawyer, Confederate general in the American Civil War
- Sam Posey (b. 1944), retired American racecar driver and sports broadcast journalist
- Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III (b. 1987), American Major League Baseball catcher and first baseman for the San Francisco Giants
- John Adams Posey (1889-1963), Indiana lawyer and politician
- John Posey (b. 1957), American actor
- James Mikely Mantell Posey (b. 1977), American professional basketball player
- Francis Blackburn Posey (1848-1915), Indiana lawyer and politician
- Buford Posey, American Civil rights worker
- The Posey Family in America by Lloyd Franklin Posey.
- The History of the Posey Family in Europe and the United States by R.H. Posey.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Posey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Posey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 June 2015 at 12:52.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!