on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Posey family come from? What is the English Posey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Posey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Posey family history?The Posey surname is a habitational name, taken on from Pusey in present-day Oxfordshire, but formerly in Wiltshire. The place name comes from the Old English "peose", or "piosu" meaning "pea" "island," collectively meaning "island, or dry ground in marsh, where peas grow." 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pusey, Powsey, Pusie and others.
First found in Oxfordshire at Pusey, a village and civil parish. The earliest record of the village was in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was listed as Pesei.  Another reference claims "the parish derives its name from the family of Pusey, to whom the manor was granted by Canute the Great; the place was in his time in the possession of Charles Pusey, Esq., who had recovered it in chancery before Lord Chancellor Jeffreys." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Posey research. Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1710, 1594, 1665, 1650 and 1727 are included under the topic Early Posey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Posey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Posey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Posey, who arrived in Maryland in 1640
- John B. Posey, American politician, Member of Mississippi Territorial House of Representatives, 1813
- DeVier Posey (b. 1990), American professional NFL football wide receiver for the Houston Texans
- Carnot Posey (1818-1863), Mississippi planter and lawyer, Confederate general in the American Civil War
- Sam Posey (b. 1944), retired American racecar driver and sports broadcast journalist
- Gerald Dempsey "Buster" Posey III (b. 1987), American Major League Baseball catcher and first baseman for the San Francisco Giants
- Bill Posey (b. 1947), American Republican politician, Member of Florida State House of Representatives 32nd District, 1993-; Member of Florida State Senate, 2001-
- Adrian Posey, American Republican politician, Member of Maryland State House of Delegates from Charles County, 1888; Member of Maryland State Senate from Charles County, 1890-92
- Carnot Posey, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi, 1859-66
- Francis Blackburn Posey (1848-1915), American politician, Representative from Indiana 1st District, 1889; Defeated, 1910; U.S. Surveyor of Customs, 1909
- Frank E. Posey, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Louisiana, 1916
- The Posey Family in America by Lloyd Franklin Posey.
- The History of the Posey Family in Europe and the United States by R.H. Posey.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Posey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Posey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 09:23.
on orders of $85 or more