Porta History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Porta surname comes from the Latin "porta" meaning "gate." As such, it was likely a topographic name for someone who lived near the gates of a fortified town.
Early Origins of the Porta family
The surname Porta was first found in Venice, where early records of the Porta lineage are found in the city of Padua in 1253, with Giovanni-Battista Della Porta, who was Governor of the city.
Early History of the Porta family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Porta research. Another 60 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1528, 1535, 1577, 1601, 1615, 1689, 1767, and 1801 are included under the topic Early Porta History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Porta Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Porta, Dalla Porta, Della Porta, La Porta and many more.
Early Notables of the Porta family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Costanzo Porta (c.1528-1601), Italian composer; Giambattista della Porta (1535-1615), Italian, Renaissance scientist and dramatist; Guglielmo della Porta (d. 1577), Italian sculptor, who worked in...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Porta Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Porta migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Porta Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benito Da Porta, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803 
- I M Porta, aged 23, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1826 
- Memside La Porta, aged 44, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1826 
- Antonio Porta, aged 27, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1831 
- Bernardo Porta, age 28, who arrived in America on June 9, 1882, aboard the "Belgenland"
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Porta Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Giovanni Della Porta, who arrived in Arkansas in 1906 
Contemporary Notables of the name Porta (post 1700) +
- Chester A. Porta, American politician, Mayor of Hopkinsville, Kentucky, 1954-57 
- Ricardo Gregorio Faccio Porta (1907-1970), Uruguayan-Italian professional football player
- Juan Ricardo Faccio Porta (b. 1936), former Uruguayan football player and manager, active 1972-1987
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html